Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you quicker or slower at night with the LED lights than you are during the day?
I had some racer saying that they are .02 slower at night. Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I am faster and used to have a tendency of going red after dark. I started wearing a dark smoked lens all the time, and day vs. night is now a non issue.

·
nightmare on any street..
5,033 Posts
I've gain around .025 in the dark. Idk why, most people slow down at night. I have sensitive eyes so the dark bothers me. I have to wear sun glasses and/or (sometimes both) and my black shield on my helmet has to be down.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've gain around .025 in the dark. Idk why, most people slow down at night. I have sensitive eyes so the dark bothers me. I have to wear sun glasses and/or (sometimes both) and my black shield on my helmet has to be down.
Same here, about .01teen/.02x quicker.

·
nightmare on any street..
5,033 Posts
Same here, about .01teen/.02x quicker.
What do you do to slow down RT's? I've always told myself to never start adjusting the car (ie: lower rpm, tire pressure, bumping) in the middle of a race. I've always just used the black shield and sunglasses. I also have led lights inside my car that help a ton.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
What do you do to slow down RT's? I've always told myself to never start adjusting the car (ie: lower rpm, tire pressure, bumping) in the middle of a race. I've always just used the black shield and sunglasses. I also have led lights inside my car that help a ton.
Same here again, lol. I didn't want to change anything in the "routine". Went from a clear shield to dark smoke, and race with it down day & night. Did the trick. This year (racing two cars on Saturdays, box on top bulb and foot brake on bottom bulb), and have had one -.002 in each all season. Far cry from where I was a couple years ago when I made the shield change.

·
23,498 Posts
I don't see much difference with an LED bulbed tree.
If anything I'm a little quicker with the led tree but it's nothing like the old incandescent bulbed trees.
Way quicker with those old incandescent bulbs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We are slightly quicker at dusk, but roughly .010 slower at night depending on the lighting on/around the tree. Did a fair amount of research on this a few years back ... just depends on your low light receptors in the back of your eye.

Try a practice tree with your dominant eye masked sometime .... can be a surprising difference there too.

You can simulate all of this with a practice tree and the ability to control lighting.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Our track went to LED tree in the middle of the season and I've been struggling with red lights ever since, had one just last Friday night in the Semi Finals.

I used an amber shield with the old incandescent tree and it worked great, but with the shield now I can't even find the bottom bulb on the tree the track is so dark...So I'm back to watching the bulbs count down. In time trials while the sun is out I'm better but still leaving to soon...I think I'm anticipating the 3rd bulb instead of SEEING the 3rd bulb.

I'd try something to block out the top two bulbs if I could see where to look for the bottom bulb.

FYI, my night vision sucks. FML.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts