Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded for a pro street 86 s10. I don't want to have the door bars cut out for removeable door bars but I have issues getting into the vehicle. The biggest problem is squeezing in between the steering wheel(already aftermarket with adapter) and the cage. I think installing the quick release setup would fix my issues. Anyone have a suggestion for this? Would the cheapest $27 one at Jegs do what I need or do I need to buy the $84 one that has the wheel adapter included?

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
I used one like this. Different companies make them and I don't remember who's I got.
Be sure to measure the shaft. Most take the standard aftermarket 3 bolt pattern wheels.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/270-2016/10002/-1?parentProductId=744116

The cheap ones, like this, weld on. Mine is drag only with the column gutted so that wasn't an issue. If it's a street vehicle and you have to retain the turn signals etc., you would probably be better with one that attaches on the stock splines. Those are more expensive. With the weld on like I have, you really can't take the column apart to service the switches if need be plus you have the heat from welding near plastic stuff. And yeah, I can't imagine getting in and out with the steering wheel in there.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Replace your solid steering column with a tilt steering column--works like a champ!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a "street" truck. 12 Point cage, stripped column with switches on switch panel for lights, turn signals. Trying to go cheap at this point just to make it easier to get in. Would be helpful to have a tilt, yes but I don't have one right now. Currently has a 5 bolt wheel.

·
Registered
968 Posts
We use the 27$ ones on some oval track cars, they wear out and get a lot of slop in them quickly.It would work on a truck like your's OK because you are not going to be sawing on the wheel all the time like a dirt car.The Sweet couplers that have a finer spline are the better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha, so likely stay away from the $27 ones because they are cheap quality. I really would like one that will last pretty well. My current wheel is 5 bolt but looking at a couple different wheels so I don't know if that'll be a determining factor.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It is a "street" truck. 12 Point cage, stripped column with switches on switch panel for lights, turn signals. "Trying to go cheap at this point" just to make it easier to get in. Would be helpful to have a tilt, yes but I don't have one right now. Currently has a 5 bolt wheel.

Not a smart move when it comes to steering, brakes or safety!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 12 of 12 Posts