Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I am fixing to start to put my motor back together, and I'm fixing to go drop everything off at the machine shop. Here's the prob

I jhave 2 kellog cranks, both std/std, one is nice and just needs polishing, the other spun 2 rod bearings, and will probably have to go atleast .020. So should I turn that crank, and use the other for a spare, or toss it and just use the better one??

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
26,863 Posts
By your avitar I would say you are "fixin" to do a lot of things.

Anywho, Put the standard crank in it and make the junked one your spare.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'd use it. I was a crank grinder for a lot of years. If the crank has surface treatment such as nitriding, it may grind through the treatment, so you won't have the abrasion resistance, but you won't sacrifice any appreciable amount of strength.

If you are truly concerned, sell it to a budget racer. It's a long way from being scrap if it will clean at .020"

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Turn it and keep it...not as a spare but build a short block w/ it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright looks like I have a better Idea now. Just worried at first cause I guess no one ever mentions it when talking about their motrs, so I always assumed they were std/std.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By your avitar I would say you are "fixin" to do a lot of things.

Anywho, Put the standard crank in it and make the junked one your spare.

LOL Yeah that was a old picture, but that is the car I got the junk crank out of!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You can have it welded back to standard spec.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here is a better idea call kellog and ask how they heat treat. Some of these methods penatrate more than .020

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
81,098 Posts
KELLOGGS FROSTY FLAKES.....THEIR GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

·
Mstr Of Useless Knowledge
3,446 Posts
I'm running a GM steel crank and it's .030 under on the rods and mains......... King bearings... No issues yet.. Less bearing speed this way...:p

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
There are thousands of 400 SBC cranks that have the mains cut down to 350 size running around in 383s.
I'd think that is pretty conclusive evidence that it can be done successfully................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts