Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to spray my engine bay and wheel wells/underbody with john deere blitz black.

anyone have experience with this stuff?

I was going to use their hardener REN3001 but that seems a bit expensive and I'm trying to do this build on a budget. Would any hardener work or do you always use what is recommended?

This will be my first attempt at spraying so i apologize for the dumb questions.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If youre talking about their thinner then yes you have to use their brand. Even says so on the qrt cans i have in front of me right now. I work for deere

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Gotcha, i only use the thinner at their mix ratio, havent needed the hardener but have never shot the blitz black. I shoot alot of the gloss black, boat trailers etc.. Awesome paint for the money

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thought there was another thread on the subject. Maybe over at ls1tech. Anyway... IIRC most stated using hardener produces a very durable finished product. As with most paint systems, not sure what results will be like if mixing different products.

·
Super Moderator
45,218 Posts
I'm not familiar with the product. Is it an acrylic enamel? Back when I sprayed gallons and gallons of the stuff, mainly Dupont's Centari,...it would spray, and dry just fine without using their hardener, actually dry faster. But, what the hardener actually did was slow down the drying process to allow the paint to flow longer, which obviously resulted in a flatter, smoother, glossier, less orange peely finish.

It made it just a hair more durable and flexible, which was apparent when you unmasked the vehicle. When you didn't use the hardener, the paint flaked off the masking paper, kind of brittle,.....but it stayed on the paper when you used the hardener.

But don't be mistaken. It was not an activator, which todays urethanes and epoxies use. They are true 2 part (2K) systems, that need the second part to chemically react with the paint to dry and cure.

Hardeners were/are just an additive, and used to improve the (1K) paint product.

·
Super Moderator
45,218 Posts
Yeah, I just gave it a quick Google and saw that it's an enamel paint, so I think I'm correct in my speculation about the hardener for it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Is the blitz black an Alkyd enamel? If so, search Amazon for Valspar’s alkyd enamel hardener. Much cheaper. I use it when I spray Rustoleum. Better gloss and durability

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The high gloss black just says "high gloss synthetic enamel" dont have any blitz on hand in qrts , just rattle cans. They dont mention anything

1 - 10 of 10 Posts