Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a (possibly diesel) generator built into the enclosed trailer to have continuous 40 amp capability. If spending a good amount of cash solves the problem of having great AC/air compressor capability I'll do it. I talked briefly with an RV conversion company about getting a giant inverter built into my truck and he said the bank of batteries and cost ($2500) of the inverter makes it a better deal to go with a diesel generator. Anyone on here have experience/suggestions on going this route? Doesn't have to be built in, but thinking of a roof top AC unit (don't know what that costs yet), and might have the generator built in, too.
How loud are these suckers?
Brand recommendations?
A good dual capability one (gas/propane) looked promising on Amazon. Is there a diesel/propane combo?
Everything with gas seems affected by ethanol content. Does diesel give decent lifespan if stored? Or does it gum up the carb like gas ones?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have a diesel Onan in my toter 8K. Very quiet and fuel efficient. Mine has about 3500 hours on the clock and has performed flawlessly. I rarely use the gas genny in the trailer. Its an older 6.5 K that runs real good but uses way more fuel than the diesel. If you mount it permanently put an exhaust stack on it above the roof especially if you have LQ.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I'll look into an Onan.

·
T/S 368E
30,497 Posts

I took mine out of the trailer, and mounted it to the tongue.
It was too loud, but it was 20 years ago, so they do have much quieter ones now.
It was a gas unit, but I agree with 2485, all the guys I know with a diesel genny love it!!!!

·
T/S 368E
30,497 Posts

I took mine out of the trailer, and mounted it to the tongue.
It was too loud, but it was 20 years ago, so they do have much quieter ones now.
It was a gas unit, but I agree with 2485, all the guys I know with a diesel genny love it!!!!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
The diesel Onan RV type generators that are 8KW and smaller are inverter generators. We have a 7500 in our RV and it's an inverter. Under 50% load which is just a little over 30 amps it only uses a half a gallon of diesel an hour. 30A will run 2-15K (newer models) AC's no problem.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good info, looking into a conversion company to give an estimate.
Got any real world knowledge about storing the diesel during the off season? Do you need to drain, or maybe just fire it up regularly? I run my current gas generator at least once a month to help with the gumming up of the carb ( it was recommended by a small engine shop for my buddies snow blower and seems to work well on the generator also).

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Onan all the way my 7500 diesel is very quiet and cheap to run being you live in ny either put it inside in winter or a good antigel and run it for 30 min a month

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Got any real world knowledge about storing the diesel during the off season? Do you need to drain, or maybe just fire it up regularly? I run my current gas generator at least once a month to help with the gumming up of the carb ( it was recommended by a small engine shop for my buddies snow blower and seems to work well on the generator also).
I have never seen diesel go bad.Have left it in heavy equipment for years with no issues

·
T/S 368E
30,497 Posts

Around here you get all your onan parts at the cummings shop.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
My manual for the RV generator says half load for an hour once a month. This drives off condensation that may settle inside the generator itself. I just run both AC's for an hour or so bout every two months. So far so good. As far as diesel storage so long as it's sealed up pretty good I would not think you would have a problem.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice! Sounds like less trouble than gas with the ethanol problems.
Thanks

·
Confused Racer
40,498 Posts
I just got a new trailer and opted for a honda eu7000is. I had a diesel powertech 6500 in my old trailer. this honda inverter doesn't make a noise will run my toter and trailer. My toter has a onan diesel 5500 that now I can keep off unless were driving. So far I'm happy as a clam.

·
I kill parts
10,153 Posts
We have an early 90's Onan Marquis 7500 gas on our trailer. It's super quiet and will run the trailer and motorhome from Friday - Sunday off of a 40g underfloor tank. Being in FL it's typically in use at least once a month for us; haven't had any fuel issues with it from typical pump E10 for the 5 years we've had it now.

The diesels are nice for sure, but from what we have I surely couldn't justify the cost difference.

·
T/S 368E
30,497 Posts

It's hard to justify the damn gas Onan's!!!
The ones I have on my trucks are insane money when others are 4-5 times less money and do the same damn job.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts