Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some opinions on my wastegate position. I know its not idea since it essentially is just stuck into the side of the tubing, but how terrible would it be?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The turbo is above the v-band, and you can just see where the passenger side tubing connects to the 3" right at the start of that 90. The issue I have is not a lot of material / space after both sides merge together. This was kind of just thrown together with what I had already for material. I can order up some more and remake something different if I need to, but if this works I would probably run it. I don't really want to run dual gates if I can avoid it.

The basic set up is a basically stock 5.3 LS, with a PTE LS 7675 turbo. The gate is a 45mm Turbosmart Gen V. The turbo setup is truck manifolds to 2.5" tubing that merges to 3" up to the turbo. If you guys need more info or pics just let me know.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah that's not going to work well at all. Why can't you flip the wg 180° and splice the wg inlet in to the crossover pipe?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I could? here is a better pic of that piece so you guys can get an idea of how it all merges together.

Here you can see where that merges in compared to the frame rail

So I could do something there, just not a lot of room to get good from from both banks. I have an idea I might try this weekend to get better flow to the gate. Need to order more material, but should work.

Sean

·
Registered
1 Posts
The more inline with the exhaust flow the better. The original mock up will not be good as the exhaust gases would easily flow right past that inlet for the wastegate. Pardon my photoshop skills but if you were to move the inlet for the WG to the blue circle the exhaust flow would prioritize the wastegate. The more in line the inlet for the wastegate is with the exhaust flow the better for control.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I totally forgot to add this pic...

I am going to TRY to come off the bottom of the bend like the drawing above. That was what I was thinking when I said I had an idea earlier. Just going to have to keep it really tight and place the wastegate like this.

Not sure I have the skills to make it happen, but I'm gonna try it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Honestly I would rework that y-pipe. The tire clearance is going to give you problems.. Put a 15-22.5 degree bend in it so it goes towards the core support. Then lay the 90 degree bend back towards the tire, and then straighten it back up to the turbo. I would then put the waste gate where the two header pipes meet in a swept x-pipe shape. sort of forming a shape like this. I've done this before and it works well.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not worried about the tire. It is barely touching at full lock as it is now. I am going to put skinnier tires on the front anyway, and I can also space out the wheel if I still need more. This is a car from the the early 90's so the tires are ballooned on the wheels, and the whole deal is sunk into the wheel well. I should be able to gain the clearance I need without making it look weird. Also when I eventually put a skinny on the front it will be nowhere near the piping. The problem with moving anything is the tubro location is locked unless I remake everything. While I could make that tube curve around more to gain a bit of room that is way more work than I want to do.

As for the gate, I am considering locating it where you have it in the drawing. I think I am first going to try and pull off of the center of the 3" 90 before it turns up into the turbo. I will have to keep it pretty tight as I come around to the side so that it can go up into the waste gate. I have a couple things that should help me with this more complicated setup, but I dont think I will have them for this weekend. So I will probably spend some time looking it all over and trying to decide which route I want to go.

I appreciate all of the input guys, I will post up later with what I end up doing, or at least with what my plan will be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts