Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
U.S. Navy Retired
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to know if this set up should have put more to the tires? I did the math @ 20% drivetrain loss and come up a bit short on what I figured flywheel HP should be. Just wondering if something is holding me back.

Here's the combo: 383 Chevy
10.3:1 Comp, with .041 compressed gasket
Pistons .005 in the hole
6" rods(don't think matters power wise, but figured I mention it anyhow)
AFR 210 heads(the older ones not the newer Eleminators, out of the box and not the race ported ones they offer) no port work done at all
Super Victor intake with a 1" open hole aluminum spacer
Comp Cams 290S Solid flat tappet, lift .540/.558(before lash) lash on both sides is .012, duration is 252/260 @ .050
Carb is 825 Mighty Demon. If I remember correctly we ended up with 84 pri and 86 sec. jets
Comp Pro Magnum roller rockers
Distributor is MSD 8570 locked out with 36* of timing, MSD 6Al box
Plugs are NGK -8 @ .032 gap
Reverse pattern TH400, 8" 4,000 stall converter
12 bolt rear, 4.10 gears, car is a ladder bar coil over set up

Made 380HP and 360Ft Lb of torque to the tires. Car runs good and pulls hard, I am happy with the way the car runs, just wondering if something is holding it back from making more power, I am not a pro engine builder so, not sure if this combo is on target or off somewhere? Thank you in advance.

Phil

·
Registered
888 Posts
whats the weight and whats it run? that will tell you if its right.
but I see way too much duration for only 10.3 comp.
just like said above, get the heads ported and cam it right and it will pick up.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My glide loosed around23% to rear wheels.I lost more with a th350. I would assume closer to 25% loss with th400. But again don't be discourages with chassis dynos.we dumped a car that ran 6.20 all day with a.nitrous converter and only made380 rwhp.my truck only runs 6.60and dynoed 470.so numbers don't.meat crap.if it runs down the tracks its good.dynoed are used as tool to show undersea in changes

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Phil, 20 percent power loss with th 400 seems too low to me...converters aint created equal ether...Like said, chassis dynos are dialing tools. Your ´55 runs pretty hard on the vid you posted ...:p

·
U.S. Navy Retired
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Phil, 20 percent power loss with th 400 seems too low to me...converters aint created equal ether...Like said, chassis dynos are dialing tools. Your ´55 runs pretty hard on the vid you posted ...:p
What video did you see? The car seems to run hard, no actual times yet unfortunately the damn track was closed the Saturday we wanted to go while I was home. Wasn't able to wiegh either. Will have see what she does at the track? I am happy with hoe she feels, my post was more curiosity than anything, but I'm gathering if it runs good at the track, it doesn't matter what HP the wheels see. All good, thanks fellas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts