Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's running a standard Star Vacuum Pump with Star's filter cannister and -12 AN clear hose with wire?
I need help trying to isolate a vacuum leak or if I don't have the regulator turned in enough.
2 Cars same setup with same low pan Vacuum.3.8 at WOT.
Question is how do you seal up your hose to the pushlok fittings?
And how far do you have your regulator turned in?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres a pic of my setup

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you heat up the hose and make it soft?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've run the same setup for years. Just put hose clamps on the fittings. Are you sure the hose is leaking ???

·
Registered
96 Posts
Put the end of the hose in a glass of heated water for a minute and shove the fitting on. You might be leaking from somewhere else

·
Registered
894 Posts
You would have to have a really bad leak for vacuum to be that low. My regulator is set with about .400" between the top piece of the regulator and the lock nut. I'm on alcohol, sbc pulling 10.5" through the 1/8 mile.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,627 Posts
Put the end of the hose in a glass of heated water for a minute and shove the fitting on. You might be leaking from somewhere else
This is how I did it.

My Star Sportsman pulls 12" with no problem at all. At idle though it's barely doing anything.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
at 2000 rpm i have 3" hg i just turned in almost all the way now and i'll see what happens. For 2 cars to have the same exact vacuum isnt coincedence.
Going to remove all fittings and heat the hose in very hot water and see if it seals up then.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You can get heat shrink pieces made by Gates from auto parts suppliers that will seal the end of the hoses and look nice also.

I have 5" at idle / 1200 rpm with mine.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I usually see leaks at the vlv cover or oil dip stick double check there .

The dip stick you can tape it & check if better.

My star hoses don`t leak

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Leak areas:

1 Manifold bolts that are not blind. need thread sealer.
2 Distributor, make sure base is fully seated, some clamps will get tight but not push on dist flange.
3 end rails (china wall)
4 upper part of cyl head that seals on the china wall
5 crank seal
6 valve cover bolts

Hook up a small shop vac and spray a mixtire of water and a little dish soap, you will be suprised at all the bubbles.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I usually see leaks at the vlv cover or oil dip stick double check there .

The dip stick you can tape it & check if better.

My star hoses don`t leak

THANKS but i dont have dipsticks on my race motors.
I'm thinking a new 22 tooth crank pulley over my 18 tooth one i am currently running.. I just resealed all hoses and tightened everything up and at 3500 i am seeing a little over 5" hg of vacuum. its better on one car so far. turned in the regulator almost all the way now.
is this 5"hg in line at 3500 rpm?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I can rev mine to 2500 and pull 10". When I first got it I had the regulator in too far and would pull 16" through the lights. It seems you may still have leaks somewhere.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leak areas:

1 Manifold bolts that are not blind. need thread sealer.
2 Distributor, make sure base is fully seated, some clamps will get tight but not push on dist flange.
3 end rails (china wall)
4 upper part of cyl head that seals on the china wall
5 crank seal
6 valve cover bolts

Hook up a small shop vac and spray a mixtire of water and a little dish soap, you will be suprised at all the bubbles.

THANKS going to check distributor clamp now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts