Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy has a 60 chevy with a 283 in it. the problem is when he goes to start it as soon as he lets the key go back to the run position it stops sending 12 vdc to the coil. i have no schematics for it. any ideas? if you put 12vdc to the coil it runs perfectly. key switch? thanks

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt see one. where would i look?
it has 12vdc at crank it loses it when you let the key go to the run position.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
It is the wire, itself, it is a resistor wire.. I don't think that is the problem, should be the ignition switch..

·
Registered
4,553 Posts

·
Registered
31,703 Posts
I think a '60 still has a ballast resistor. It may be burned out. White porcelain gizmo about ¾” square and 3” long, should be on the firewall near the coil with a wire from it to the coil.

It is possible for the ignition switch to be damaged if the starter has been ‘bumped’ (such as to adjust valves) with the key in the off position.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Should have a ballast resistor. 12v while cranking comes from the starter, connected to the ballast resistor on the side of the resistor that the + side of the coil gets hooked to. On the other side of the resistor there should be key on 12v +.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks ill check. i did not see the "White porcelain gizmo about ¾” square and 3” long" but ill keep lookin. i should see the car next week!

·
Registered
31,703 Posts
I see 7DMACH1's link shows a resistor wire on the Impala. I just worked on a '61 Corvette that has the original white porcelain gizmo. I confess to a jumped conclusion, my bad.

I still caution: It is possible for the ignition switch to be damaged if the starter has been ‘bumped’ (such as to adjust valves) with the key in the off position.

·
Registered
31,703 Posts
The resistor wire is in the harness from the firewall plug to the coil and has a white woven insulation cover that may look like fiberglass strands if it is frayed.

The problem can be in the connection at the firewall where the engine harness connects to (is it the fuse box on the inside of the firewall ??). Check the plug at the ignition switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts