Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 F350 with a V-10. Had a miss fire issue for several months. It would come and go. Most of the time, you would have it at start up, but after driving a few miles, I would go away. The last couple of months it got worse and would take longer to go away.

Now suddenly, it will hardly run at all. I know coil packs on the 5.4's are notorious for failing and the V10 is nothing more than a 5.4 with 2 cylinders added, but I've not seen that many V10's to know if they have the same issue.

Also, I noticed last night that the exhaust was VERY rich smelling and on the return trip from the track, the exhaust started to smell of sulfur and I'm afraid the raw fuel in the exhaust has killed the catalytic converter.

The truck only has 80K miles on it and has been immaculately maintained since new. It does sit a lot, but until this issue, as been a solid performer.

Fuel pressure is normal, and the water level is normal, so I don't think it's fuel pump related or a head gasket or cracked head issue. I'm thinking it either had an injector sticking and the fuel fouled a plug, and eventually killed the cat. Or it's the more typical coil related miss fire issue the 5.4's have and the missfire put too much raw fuel in the exhaust, which would have also eventually killed the cat.

Anybody have this problem?

·
Administrator
136,770 Posts
I had the same issue.. I pulled off all the coils and one had water in it.. used my wifes hair dryer to dry it out.. I would have used mine if I had hair.. :p
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Find out which cylinder is miss firing and move that cop to another plug and see if the miss fire moves. Also, you said that the truck sits a lot. Check to see if mice have chewed on the engine harness.

·
Administrator
136,770 Posts
Find out which cylinder is miss firing and move that cop to another plug and see if the miss fire moves. Also, you said that the truck sits a lot. Check to see if mice have chewed on the engine harness.
Mice ate my owners manual when my truck sat for almost a year.. they didn't care for the wires luckily
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bad part I forgot to mention was there is NO check engine light. The bulb in the dash display is fine, so the check engine light WORKS, but when you check it for codes, there are none stored.

I've been told that the back two coils tend to get wet, so what Monty said makes pretty good sense. Sounds like there is some weather related "drippage" that comes in from the back of the hood and causes problems. Not sure yet though.

·
and a little bent
2,277 Posts
Any codes?

My 5.4 02 threw a code for #7, got new boots and plugs and on the way home it blew out #3 and took the coil with it.

Both 3 and 7 the boots were shot from the plugs loosening and the heat passing the threads.

I got lucky the 3 didnt need a timesert this time- 160k on the clock.

New plugs and boots,1 coil and it back avg 16 mpg

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any codes?

My 5.4 02 threw a code for #7, got new boots and plugs and on the way home it blew out #3 and took the coil with it.

Both 3 and 7 the boots were shot from the plugs loosening and the heat passing the threads.

I got lucky the 3 didnt need a timesert this time- 160k on the clock.

New plugs and boots,1 coil and it back avg 16 mpg
Holly PHOCK! This V10 can only DREAM of 16 mph. I didn't think the 5.4's had mileage that good. Good to know.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The bad part I forgot to mention was there is NO check engine light. The bulb in the dash display is fine, so the check engine light WORKS, but when you check it for codes, there are none stored.

I've been told that the back two coils tend to get wet, so what Monty said makes pretty good sense. Sounds like there is some weather related "drippage" that comes in from the back of the hood and causes problems. Not sure yet though.
If you have access to a good scan tool you need to go through the global/mode 06, also called "generic functions" on a snap on scanner. there is a misfire monitor that will tell you which cylinder has missed and how many times. It dosent matter if the check engine light is on or not. Its test 51 or 53

·
and a little bent
2,277 Posts
Holly PHOCK! This V10 can only DREAM of 16 mph. I didn't think the 5.4's had mileage that good. Good to know.
Lol it wasnt easy - amsoil everywhere but the engine oil and a bed cover.

15,000 miles and i gianed almost 4 mpg so the shit has paid for itself

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts

Couple of notes:

1) The check light doesn't always come on for coil packs...it has to misfire more than 4 out of 10 times, or something like that (i.e. under 60% successful ignition at the cylinder). A classic cause of this is water at the plug, or in my case, coolant. :( This causes intermittent firing which may never trigger the light. Dealing with this as we speak, actually...pulling coils fro testing on Monday. Sometimes you can dry them out (& blow out the plug recess)...sometimes the pack is no good after the shorting.

2) Earlier trucks have a weatherstripping issue on the cowl which causes the back plugs to get doused. I am thinking it's pre-2000 for the F150s, but the body was updated later for the 250/350. Anyway, it's worth investigating.

3) As mentioned, you can have an intake manifold crack which causes coolant to seep on the plugs...can also cause leanout which will show as excess EGR flow. I don't think so in your case, but file it for future reference. :p

4) I've changed a lotta coil packs over the years, and never disconnect the rails. It takes a lot of body English, short & long extensions, and offsets, and a 7mm ratcheting wrench, but it can be done. I bought a Snap On 70-tooth 1/4" ratchet just for the back packs, which are buried under the firewall. Made me a much happier person...since I can actually USE the ratchet in the 2" of space.

5) If I got 16 mpg with my 5.4, I'd be fucking ecstatic.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts