Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am building a new house and was curious why it costs so much more to tile a shower(custom 220 sq ft) than labor to do tile around tubs on 3 sides i was quoted 2000 labor to do shower and 350 each to do the 3 walls around the tubs

·
Registered
203 Posts
i get 3500 labor to demo and retile a shower. includes new pan, shower valve, lights, recessed shelves. door extra. plus materials. and booked up 4 months.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
concrete shower floor is already done

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wasnt asking for smart ass answers tax man and had i not broken my elbow the day after christmas i would do it myself what i was getting at was putting tile on a wall is putting tile on a wall regardless if its in the shower or around a tub

·
Registered
41,411 Posts
The point is it ain't easy to do a good job. The installation by a pro is worth the money. Anyone can stick tile on a wall, having it look good and last is worth the money he's asking.

·
pist'n Broke
20,936 Posts
i get 3500 labor to demo and retile a shower. includes new pan, shower valve, lights, recessed shelves. door extra. plus materials. and booked up 4 months.
about 15 years ago we were getting $1800 to do the pan and we just went up 2 rows or so to get above the pan....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Theres alot more that goes into a shower then the walls.

You say the concrete floor is done......do you mean the plumbing is set, the curb built, the rubber pan set, the curb durocked and the dry bed set and angled to the drain? Theres alot more involved with the floor.....lots more marking, measuring and cutting.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You need to be a little more specific with whats being done in the shower as far as niches being installed maybe a seat or corner shelves. I'm doing a steam shower right know thats about 240 sq ft. Nothing fancy its gettting mosaics on the floor and 13" porcelain on the walls and ceiling straight layed. I install kerdi board, pan, and drain and I'm getting $2500.00 for the install. Thats labor only no materials, hope this helps you out good luck with the job. If I was you I would get plenty of references in my 21 yrs of setting tile I've tore out a lot of showers that were not done correctly. It might look pretty but that doesn't mean its going to last.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Make sure they use a good surface applied membrane like kerdi or a liquid like hydroban,redguard,or aqua-defense. It cost more because it is more work. Make sure they caulk all changes of plane with a good silicone.

·
Registered
28,927 Posts
You might want to check around. This guy is doing it too cheap. I never just do a shower I do the whole bathroom,but if I did it would be a min of 4k to 6k just for labor and base product. You still have to pay for materials/fixtures of your choosing.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
That's cheap!! Raise your price a $1000, and you will still be booked for 4 months.
LOL i dont know where you guys live. There must be alot of stupid people there. My tile guy is and artist cuts custom inlays and everything and i could fly him there and have him tile the whole room to the ceilinjg for 1/2 of what you guys want. Who in the fuck would pay so much?? Its not art or rocket science its tile on a wall?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts