Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while since I raised a pup, but damn when do they get past this chewing stage?

I have a german bloodline German Shepherd pup right now just turned 10 weeks old, and he is the greatest pup I have had, but damn instead of him chewing furniture, and the 80 dollars in chew toys I have bought, he prefers human flesh.

When do they get past this stage before there is an indention of a German Shepherd pup in my garage wall.

:-D

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Our pugs are about 2 years old and still like to chew on stuff, even with cheweis laying allover the house.I have trim on the steps into the family room that need to be replaced because of them and oh yeah they like to steal the wifes underwear too:smt081

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel your pain !!! I have a 10 mo old yellow lab that just chewed the wiring and plug off my car trailer :mad:

Speaking of pain, I will take an adult dog bite anyday over a puppy bite. Puppies do not know how damn razor sharp them damn puppy teeth are, and how strong their jaws are.

I already have battle scars from this brat. :-D

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I don'tknow if they ever grow out of it. Our 1 year out pitbull (Brodix) still chews on things and when you catch him he knows its wrong, but done it anyway. I think he is getting better though. You just have to find other ways to keep his mind occupied.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Try one of the chew toys that you put the treats on the inside of yet to see if you can get the pup on that, think they are called konk or something like that.The dog has to chew the toy in order to break the bicuit up and get it out. Buddy of mine had the same issue and was able to get the shepperd on to that, and what a beutiful dog now. All 135 pounds of him.

·
Troublemaker
4,627 Posts
With any puppy, you want to show him what is a 'good' and a 'bad' chew. If he's trying to chew your arms/fingers, you must be consistent with replacing them with a chew toy that he's allowed to have. Praise him when he's chewing on the 'good' toy.

I have 4 Labradors, they all chew sticks from time to time, but no more on the flesh. It took a while for all of them to outgrow it. Consistency is the key.

·
On the roller...
15,880 Posts
I'm with Jason on this one. You need to establish the boundaries and what's okay to chew and what is not immediately.

You need to establish dominance without diminishing prey drive. This will solve the problem. My dog stopped chewing my hands the second day I had him here as a puppy. My girlfriend battled it for a long time because she allowed him to do it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
:smile::p
Our pugs are about 2 years old and still like to chew on stuff, even with cheweis laying allover the house.I have trim on the steps into the family room that need to be replaced because of them and oh yeah they like to steal the wifes underwear too:smt081
A friend of mine had a pitbull and i went over to his house then we went in the basement to get some parts then his dog came out the wash room with his wife panties in his mouth so he took them from the dog and the dog had chewed the center out i was like dam we were laughing!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
A friend of mine had a pitbull and i went over to his house then we went in the basement to get some parts then his dog came out the wash room with his wife panties in his mouth so he took them from the dog and the dog had chewed the center out i was like dam we were laughing!
its your story tell it any way you want! but we all know it was you that ate the crotch out! :smt081

·
Registered
348 Posts
We have raised 2 pitbull's...When they were younger they would bite...not in anger but in play. Everytime they would bite..we use to bite them on the ear...just enough that they would squel...and that was it. Two or three times like that and it was all over.
When we had the first bunch of pups from them...we had to do the same thing to them. You dont have to draw blood but enough to let them know how much it hurts..

Rick

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have raised 2 pitbull's...When they were younger they would bite...not in anger but in play. Everytime they would bite..we use to bite them on the ear...just enough that they would squel...and that was it. Two or three times like that and it was all over.
When we had the first bunch of pups from them...we had to do the same thing to them. You dont have to draw blood but enough to let them know how much it hurts..

Rick
Interesting ideal, but I would be afraid of me one day wanting to take a piss every time I see a fire hydrant or a tree. :-D

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
My female pit does the same exact thing.

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts

Rick

I agree bite the little shit back I have had three pits and did it will all of them, there puppys and they don't know it hurts when you show them that it hurts back they stop, and DON"T just take a soft bite I mean bite hard on the cheek or ear, they will learn, sound stupid but it works.

·
On the roller...
15,880 Posts

Rick
That's one theory of how to make them stop. It's what the puppies do to one another. A pinch will work. A gentle (don't beat them) smack to the side of the snout will work. Forcing them to look you in the eye until they look away (dominance) will work wonders.

Again, you don't want to diminish prey drive, just establish the hierarchy and let them know that you're not equal to them and they should chew and play elsewhere when it comes to these actions.

A lot changes when you pull the puppies apart and they're no longer together in a little pack.

Lots of free and purchasable information on the Leerburg site.
http://leerburg.com/308.htm

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have two pit bulls, and the way I trained them was a combination of crate training, a little pop on the snout, and rewards when they did well. I came home from work one day to walk in to what looked like a grenade went off in my couch. There was yellow foam stuffing everwhere. I walked into the living room to see the wood on the couches arm. He had ate the cushion off the damn arm of the couch. I found him under our bed, and wouldnt come out for nothing. I also like the kongs for toys. I stuff them with peanut butter, and put them in the freezer over night. Man, they will chew and lick forever on that stuff. Consistency is definately the key.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have two pit bulls, and the way I trained them was a combination of crate training, a little pop on the snout, and rewards when they did well. I came home from work one day to walk in to what looked like a grenade went off in my couch. There was yellow foam stuffing everwhere. I walked into the living room to see the wood on the couches arm. He had ate the cushion off the damn arm of the couch. I found him under our bed, and wouldnt come out for nothing. I also like the kongs for toys. I stuff them with peanut butter, and put them in the freezer over night. Man, they will chew and lick forever on that stuff. Consistency is definately the key.
Good luck.
Doesn't make you so mad when they KNOW they've done wrong !!! Its just a certain look in their eyes or they hide from you. Dogs just live in the moment, its our jobs to teach them different......

1 - 20 of 65 Posts