Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an outer tie rod go bad on my truck. By the time I got around to changing it, it was 7pm. I started to take apart the old one. When I got the old one off and compared it to the one the auto parts store dropped off, it was different. Yes, I know I should've checked before starting. But I didn't.

The auto parts store is now close. I have choice of either putting back the old one or running to Vato Zone or the Boys. I went to Pep Boys and picked up their Pro Steer China crap. I installed it and lost count of turns because it is a different length.

The next day, I take my truck to get an alignment. I asked the guy if he could change the tie rod for quality piece for me. He said no problem. I also asked him if he could not charge me list price for the part (Moog ES3009R). He looks at me with the deer in headlights look. I tell him I understand that he needs to mark up the part, but do you really have to charge me the $180 list price. I tell him that the part sells for roughly $60. He then tells me since he is further from the city than me, the part cost more because there are more middlemen involved. Bullshit line.

Yes, I could've change the China tie rod myself but since the truck was getting the alignment, I let him do it.

I had no problem paying $120 but triple the amount is kinda excessive.

Do you mechanics charge the list price on parts? He already is making money on the labor. I would've been happy if charged me more for the alignment than the part. Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Thats the way it is ... when you have to stand behind it ... if it goes out 2 weeks from now you would want him to replace it for free wouldnt ya ...well you gotta pay for agravation,, and do it youre self dont pay for having to order it and picking it up

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The shop where I work Yes. What every carquest prices is. Are price then customer price and that is what we charge unless its super crazy. Then We look at the Labor rate of the job and charge that only so a 2 hour job and I take 4 customer gets charged 2 hours in labor. But I am hourly and not flat rate so dont care how long it takes haha.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You screw it up, then ask the guy trying to make a living to not charge you list price to fix your mistake? Thats pretty arogant. Did you ask him why he was trying to make $ on the part while he was putting his $15,000 alignment machine on it?

·
Registered
507 Posts
We charge list on all parts. I rarely see more than 100% markup from cost to retail\list. We generally would charge 120 if the cost is 60. I would never charge 3x what I paid for something, so I agree 180 would be a little high. I would recommend doing your own repairs or to supply your own parts. KS

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Open your own shop and then see what your outlook is!...

I'm a one man shop, (employees suck) so I'm pretty flexible about what I charge!...
I NEVER charge list price or flat rate times on ANY job that I do, plus ALL of my customers get something done as a courtesy from me!...

I opened this business (Honda /Acura Repair facility) 14yrs. ago and I've watched my customer base increase annually!...
I treat EVERY customer, how I'd like to be treated (a good job at a reasonable price)!...

Some shops get it and some shops don't!... :smt102

·
DamCoonass
15,236 Posts
I'd agree that triple the price ($180) is too much for a $60 part.

I would price that around $100-120, depending on attitude.
Yours.. not mine.

If it were a $6 part I would at LEAST triple it.

The old saying is :

I MAKE MY LIVING SELLING & INSTALLING PARTS.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I run a shop and I use all Moog replacement parts as far as suspension goes unless the customer is flat broke, then we make due with the Mevotech or less expensive lines that still carry a lifetime warranty. I at that time explain what kind of product the customer is getting and if it goes out down the road he/she will have to repay the labor/alignment and upgrade at that time.

Some shops go with list, some mark up 200%, some 250%..A part that wholesales for $34(34x2.5= 85) just turned into $85 at 250%.

I get customers complaining all the time about the cost of parts and whatnot, what they dont understand is that it costs money to turn on the compressor, lights, hoses, lifts ect..they ask why a rotor at Vato Zone that costs them $40 bucks is $60 through me. I at that time explain why a steak at outback costs $25 bucks vs $12 at the grocery store, difference is they complaint to the people fixing their vehicle but not the guy cooking their food.

It cracks me up how people have fucked the automotive industry up, dishonest people that run shops and customers that think it's "Lets make a Deal". I 100% look out for the customer and myself, give them options of what is in need of immediate attention vs something that can wait a week or so as I walk them around the vehicle giving them a hands on view. I enjoy helping people and seeing them leave my shop satisfied, you can only skin a cat once and lots of people do that to honest people looking for honest work.

·
YB Word Crew
21,846 Posts
doesnt hurt to ask I guess. The guy might cut you some slack, but I don't think you should expect him to lose money on your previous bad deal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Then We look at the Labor rate of the job and charge that only so a 2 hour job and I take 4 customer gets charged 2 hours in labor. But I am hourly and not flat rate so dont care how long it takes haha.
Just what we need, more lazy fuks like you. I worked 50% labor when I first started wrenching and now, 30 yrs later, I still strive to be fast and good. When a job pays 5 hours and I do it in 3, thats personal satisfaction. If your the type that dont give a rats about time or quality for that matter, please go back to the food service industry. Mechanics get a bad enuff rap as it is.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,972 Posts
First off, no shop that I know of pays list price, they get most of their parts wholesale or considerably discounted.....

Parts that were put on at the shops I worked at (I worked for several) were normally marked up 100%.... we paid $10 for a part, the customer paid $20, simple as that.....

Don't like it, do it yourself....

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Just what we need, more lazy fuks like you. I worked 50% labor when I first started wrenching and now, 30 yrs later, I still strive to be fast and good. When a job pays 5 hours and I do it in 3, thats personal satisfaction. If your the type that dont give a rats about time or quality for that matter, please go back to the food service industry. Mechanics get a bad enuff rap as it is.
WOW I am hourly So I dont have to bust crazy ass to make my pay sorry. Do I work overtime when needed absolutely. I take my time because that car dont leave untill Its perfect in my eyes I dont care how old and a peice of crap that car maybe. I go above and beyond on all the cars I work on, So you can shut the fuck up:-Shower

·
Registered
890 Posts
Take a step back, You are saying he is charging triple.
But Triple AUTO ZONES price on cheap chinese crap?
I doubt the moog part at any auto part store is gonna be the same $60 at the chinese auto zone peice.

Most shops i ever worked at over the years charge whatever list price show from the auto parts store, we dont buy from auto zone and mark it up to local store list prices.

I have seen where list to cost ranges anywhere from 20% to 100% depending on the part.

Are you gonna make this post when i bill you for freshening your trans????:-Shower

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
WOW I am hourly So I dont have to bust crazy ass to make my pay sorry. Do I work overtime when needed absolutely. I take my time because that car dont leave untill Its perfect in my eyes I dont care how old and a peice of crap that car maybe. I go above and beyond on all the cars I work on, So you can shut the fuck up:-Shower
With ALL due respect dude, IF you're in the 25yr old range (I have no idea how old you are), NOW is the time for you to be bustin' ass and being productive (read: beating flat rate)!...
NOW is the time for you to be looking at EVERY job and picking up on the shortcuts!...

It's nice that you want to be thorough and do a good job on EVERY job, but you've got to be able to produce more than 1 billable hour for every hour that you work!...
Otherwise, you might FEEL that you're doing a good job, but the guy signing the checks, might replace you with somebody that can competently outproduce you!...

Just something to contemplate!... :smt102

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Take a step back, You are saying he is charging triple.
But Triple AUTO ZONES price on cheap chinese crap?
I doubt the moog part at any auto part store is gonna be the same $60 at the chinese auto zone peice.

Most shops i ever worked at over the years charge whatever list price show from the auto parts store, we dont buy from auto zone and mark it up to local store list prices.

I have seen where list to cost ranges anywhere from 20% to 100% depending on the part.

Are you gonna make this post when i bill you for freshening your trans????:-Shower
Yes, he triple charged. I did not have a problem paying double but triple is kinda steep. I threw the Chinese part in there so I didn't have to put the old one back in. The Chinese tie rod cost $30.

And who let you borrow a converter at the track? :-Shower And who's name is in my signature? :finga:

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
With ALL due respect dude, IF you're in the 25yr old range (I have no idea how old you are), NOW is the time for you to be bustin' ass and being productive (read: beating flat rate)!...
NOW is the time for you to be looking at EVERY job and picking up on the shortcuts!...

It's nice that you want to be thorough and do a good job on EVERY job, but you've got to be able to produce more than 1 billable hour for every hour that you work!...
Otherwise, you might FEEL that you're doing a good job, but the guy signing the checks, might replace you with somebody that can competently outproduce you!...

Just something to contemplate!... :smt102
I understand fully And do beat and make time most of the time that really isnt a issue. But on some jobs it gets fubar. Its all :cool:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes, he triple charged. I did not have a problem paying double but triple is kinda steep. I threw the Chinese part in there so I didn't have to put the old one back in. The Chinese tie rod cost $30.

And who let you borrow a converter at the track? :-Shower And who's name is in my signature? :finga:

Billy T.
[email protected]
And it went back to PTC to be checked out before your got it back!

Your nemisis Jimmy Morrison is on the dyno tomorrow at noon.
Dropped your trans off at Joe's this am.
You owe me gas and time bitch x 3!!!!:smt072

1 - 20 of 58 Posts