Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*This is not a gun specific question, that is why i am posting it here.*
I am prepairing for a carrer in law enforcement and i am in college at the moment studying criminal justice. I grew up shooting rifles, shotguns, hunting ect, but the outdoor hobby i truely love is handgun shooting. All these hobbys though, i did with my dad.

I am 22yrs old and recently my father was transfered out of state. Growing up, due to my age, i shot all his pistols and handguns when we went shooting. Now that he no longer lives in Maryland with me, i cant pistol shoot anymore without renting a handgun at the range which gets very costly after a while.

I am in the market to but my own handgun however i was told buy a friend also interested in law enforcement that it would severly hurt my chances of being excepted into any police department hireing process, anywhere. His arguement was that they do not want a "self-taught" shooter due to the fact that it would be hard to break them of bad shooting form or other habits they may develop while shooting there own firearm.

I have asked several officers in many different county departments, FBI and DEA and they have all said that they have never heard of this and as long as you are shooting in the 10-ring thats all they care about. However i do not want to do anything that may hinder me from becoming an officer which has been my dream sence i was a kid.

I just want to get as much input on the subject as i can before i make a decission. And i know there are very knowledgeable people on this site about these topics. Any (helpful) input on the subject is apreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Owning your own handgun and knowing how to shoot it would NOT hurt your chances of being hired as a police officer.The more expereance you can bring to the table the better.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
They don't care at all...in fact during the early testing process some dept's will time you in a dry fire shooting dril using both hands. So knowledge can be a good thing.

·
In Glock I Trust
6,808 Posts
I am prepairing for a carrer in law enforcement and i am in college at the moment studying criminal justice. I grew up shooting rifles, shotguns, hunting ect, but the outdoor hobby i truely love is handgun shooting. All these hobbys though, i did with my dad.

I am 22yrs old and recently my father was transfered out of state. Growing up, due to my age, i shot all his pistols and handguns when we went shooting. Now that he no longer lives in Maryland with me, i cant pistol shoot anymore without renting a handgun at the range which gets very costly after a while.

I am in the market to but my own handgun however i was told buy a friend also interested in law enforcement that it would severly hurt my chances of being excepted into any police department hireing process, anywhere. His arguement was that they do not want a "self-taught" shooter due to the fact that it would be hard to break them of bad shooting form or other habits they may develop while shooting there own firearm.

I have asked several officers in many different county departments, FBI and DEA and they have all said that they have never heard of this and as long as you are shooting in the 10-ring thats all they care about. However i do not want to do anything that may hinder me from becoming an officer which has been my dream sence i was a kid.

I just want to get as much input on the subject as i can before i make a decission. And i know there are very knowledgeable people on this site about these topics. Any (helpful) input on the subject is apreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
He's an idiot.

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts

I did 21 and half years in the Marine Corps. Shooting in the military versus law enforcement is two entirely different animals.

This old dog could learn new techniques, so can anyone else.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responces guys, i really appreciate it. Im Just scared to do anything to hurt my chances to get into this feild. Seems like it is alot more selective than i thought. Im am looking into some competitive shooting classes in the area that might give me something else to bring to the table. More or less, I dont want to look like some backyard rambo on paper to them if that makes any sort of sence. All my hobbys involve shooting of somesort or fast cars.
He's an idiot.
I aint gunna argue that bud haha.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did 21 and half years in the Marine Corps. Shooting in the military versus law enforcement is two entirely different animals.

This old dog could learn new techniques, so can anyone else.
Thank you for every minute of your 21years, no greater apreciation was every deserved than that of a civilian to a Servicemen.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I am prepairing for a carrer in law enforcement and i am in college at the moment studying criminal justice. I grew up shooting rifles, shotguns, hunting,ect, but the outdoor hobby i truely love is handgun shooting. All these hobbys though, i did with my dad.

I am 22yrs old and recently my father was transfered out of state. Growing up, due to my age, i shot all his pistols and handguns when we went shooting. Now that he no longer lives in Maryland with me, i can't pistol shoot anymore without renting a handgun at the range which gets very costly after a while.

I am in the market to but my own handgun, however i was told buy a friend also interested in law enforcement, that it would severly hurt my chances of being excepted into any police department hireing process, anywhere. His arguement was that they do not want a "self-taught" shooter due to the fact that it would be hard to break them of bad shooting form, or other habits they may develop while shooting there own firearm.

I have asked several officers in many different county departments, FBI and DEA, and they have all said that they have never heard of this and as long as you are shooting in the 10-ring thats all they care about. However, i do not want to do anything that may hinder me from becoming an officer which has been my dream sence i was a kid.

don't forget you need to write up reports so ENGLISH class is a must :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Find out what weapons your local law enforcment carries, or the agency you are interested in carries... Purchase the same gun that way you can be familar with it.... just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^That is a very good idea.
don't forget you need to write up reports so ENGLISH class is a must :rolleyes:
Yea Im not a strong speller if you were wondering. Im working on it though lol.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
All your reports are done on a computer now anyways...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully, for my sake, They have spell check.

Back to the topic though, have any of you even heard of this before?

·
Registered
605 Posts
^^That is a very good idea.

Yea Im not a strong speller if you were wondering. Im working on it though lol.
hahah no problem....just busting balls. just about my entire family are cops (3 cops, 2 state trooper, and 3 corrections officers) i am the odd ball that went to the corporate world.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
^^^^ Doh!!!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Every American, should have within his home, numerous loaded weapons including, but not limited to:
-handguns
-rifles
-shotguns (sawed off OK)
-Bazooka
-machine gun
-grenades
-anti-personnel mines
-cluster bombs
-and, if you can afford it, a "personal-sized" atomic weapon of your choice.

This is allowed and encouraged and backed up by the U.S. Constitution.

NOTE: If you have children in the home, they should receive full instruction on how to operate the firearms and weapons so that they do not injure themselves.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
All your reports are done on a computer now anyways...
It is ANYWAY.
remember this grammar rule: "anyhow, anyway", "not anyhows, anyways"

Must agree, the grammar and spelling of the orig. poster is terrible...forget about guns, get literate.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Every American, should have within his home, numerous loaded weapons including, but not limited to:
-handguns
-rifles
-shotguns (sawed off OK)
-Bazooka
-machine gun
-grenades
-anti-personnel mines
-cluster bombs
-and, if you can afford it, a "personal-sized" atomic weapon of your choice.

This is allowed and encouraged and backed up by the U.S. Constitution.

NOTE: If you have children in the home, they should receive full instruction on how to operate the firearms and weapons so that they do not injure themselves.
hahahah see below for exampl!!!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is ANYWAY.
remember this grammar rule: "anyhow, anyway", "not anyhows, anyways"

Must agree, the grammar and spelling of the orig. poster is terrible...forget about guns, get literate.
Thanks for the pep-talk Sport.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts