Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good friend of mine that has a 3500 Dodge truck and the wheel bearing went out of the right front and he's being told that he has to buy the hub and everything for 480 dollars. Is there anyway around this?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no. its a one peice hub&bearing assembly with built in abs sensor, he may need to purchase some mounting hardware as well...or he could get real good insurance policy for it loljk
Damn that sucks what a poor design by Dodge.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,951 Posts
All the big three went to a unit bearing some time ago. Overall it is better design. Easy to replace just $$$.

·
Registered
762 Posts
They can be rough to get out sometimes they get frozen. Best of luck to your friend.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When mine went out on my '02, I got the hub assembly from NAPA for around $200.

·
SO MUCH TIMING CHAIN!
1,135 Posts
They can be rough to get out sometimes they get frozen. Best of luck to your friend.

yeah, thats why i recommended the new oem bolts before attempting the job, i usually bac the bolts out the leave them in about 5 threads, and use an air hammer on the heads in a criss cross pattern, works like a charm, bolts usually need replacing tho, especially the 12 point ones that dodge/jeep uses

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This truck only has 59K on it but it's over the 5yr old mark it really shouldn't have failed yet but I know thats just the way things work sometimes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Damn that sucks what a poor design by Dodge.
Most manufacturers use a unit hub/bearing/sensor now. The fact that the part costs more is not the deciding factor over it being a good or bad design.

Would you rather have a $50.00 bearing that presses into the spindle and the labor charges that would equal the cost of a bolt-on hub?

FWIW-I think the chinese can knock one out for under $200.00.

·
SO MUCH TIMING CHAIN!
1,135 Posts
This truck only has 59K on it but it's over the 5yr old mark it really shouldn't have failed yet but I know thats just the way things work sometimes.

curbing the wheel will sometimes crack the inner one piece race from what ive seen

·
TD 3550
2,945 Posts
I have replace the hub bearings 3 times on my 1995 3500 2WD with the Cummins. Napa's didn't last 35000 miles. Autozones didn't last either. 38000 and went to shit in a hand basket. Went To Dodge and purchased another set. I have now 100.000 on the new bearings from dodge and not 1 single noise.. "Figures "Shit" Steel.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Both have been changed on my 04 2500HD. I did the left one the day we went to ST Louis. $245 for a Timkin at car quest. All the other ones are national or some other brand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts