Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the current economy/trickle down in place, the construction industry is and has been drying up in many sectors.

Up until recently, the South Eastern market has been maintaining it's own, but over the last several months appears to be entering quickly into a major downturn that looks to last for the next 12-18 months.

The Formwork subcontractor I'm currently employed with is seeing jobs that were booked with at least letters of intent being pulled right and left.

We had 4 large projects slated to start in June/July/August this year and have evaporated indefinatly. Normally, by this time in any given calender year, we have work booked well into the following year. At this time, there is nothing on the books to start in the remainder of '08, and nothing has been booked for '09.

After a few conversations with colleagues in the business, the other Formwork companies in the area are in the same boat.

My question is, are those of you who make your living in heavy commercial(Hi-Rise/Healthcare/industrial/education) construction seeing this same trend? Are the General contractors in your areas picking up work and/or maintaining any kind of backlog?

Are these downturns more regional or are they more geographically widespread?

Hearing that Hi-rise/heavy industrial is still on an upward pace in the Dallas, Austin and Houston areas.....

Looks like I may be looking at a complete career change here shortly if things don't pick up-

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
In the mid-west (Ohio) we are still very busy we have a few 100-million in the books for the next few years for Construction Management work. Our GC division has been slow for years, however we have a new bonding agent and things are looking up for that part of the company.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I am in the commercial/residential cabinetmaking business and soon as the fuel price hysteria went into full motion with rumors of $200 a barrel oil everyone slammed on the brakes on spending. I have over $100,000 in work bid that I am waiting for a go on. It is starting to relax a little bit with the new downward petroleum trend.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Heavy commerical Project Superintendent here. I finished a 12 story condo last year in Gulfport, MS and have mobilized to begin 2 condos and a mid rise hotel within the last 12 months. Both condos pulled the plug and it looks like the hotel is getting ready to do the same.

There's some work here, but it's very tight with small margins in a hard bid market. Not a lot of fun to build, if you know what I mean. lol.

Martin

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am a union electrician just north of NYC and we are just slammed. We are hiring guys out of the Hartford local and NYC because we can't get enough guys to man the jobs. They say we have enough work for the next 2 years but who knows. These are huge projects that were bidded well before this "recession" and they won't just stop them mid stream. We are working 6days, 10 hours. I hope the bottom doesn't fall out but it is inevitable. It eventually will.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I am a Project Engineer for a large GC in the Toledo area. Our annual sales upwards of 350 million. Thanks to our federal division. We do a lot of work in Iraq. Personally I am on the Retail end which is always booming. We keep a steady flow of work, but the big money comes from the large contracts overseas.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am a union electrician just north of NYC and we are just slammed with work. Some contractors have actually refused some work because they don't have the man power. We are hiring guys from Hartford and NYC locals to man the territory. They say that we have plenty of work for the next 2 years. These are huge projects that have been bidded before the sudden economic down turn. We are working 6 days, 10hours right now. I'm hoping the bottom doesn't fall out but I think its inevitable. Its just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom..... who are you affiliated with(who is the GC div.?)

Darrell..... yeah, hoping with the oil prices falling, the markets will start showing some upward trends. Seems like they've been closing marginally higher with more frequency in the last couple weeks.

Maybe the developers will become a little more comfortable, and loosen the grip on their coin-

Martin..... yeah, I'm Hi-Rise cast in place formwork Supt.
Finishing a 35 floor mixed use and two 8 story parking decks in the coming weeks..... with no where to go.

We're on line to do the Trump Towers here in Atlanta...... but that is another one on hold. Hell, it was supposed to start LAST year.....

Seems like the new starts are dropping like flies.

Btw..... I hear ya on hard bid work...... labor budget barely covers it. Almost kiss any kind of labor savings goodbye anymore-

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It's DEAD here in SWF, my last project was completed in February (twin tower mid-rise 13 story) The GC has a few projects they are finishing up, but no new work. We have been pursuing vulture acquisitions, but all so far have been picked clean to the bone.

Commercial / Residential Construction Management actively seeking position or contract :cool:

Rick

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
work demolition here in Chicago and its slow for any and all construction right now. I know a bunch of people who haul limestone and a couple of those companies have half their fleet parked this season and some are downsizing to keep enough work for a handful of people to stay busy.

Demo is slow right now as well since the majority do work for the city and they simply dont have $$$ in the budget to start projects. The demo we've done this year has been private and most for a new grocery store, assisted living and apartments.

We've got nothing for about another week beside some machine/semi maintenance that needs to get done. We just had a 5 story hotel get pushed back 3 months and the permits have been pulled for over a month :(

times are tough and this year sucks! Rumor is alot of projects are waiting till the election is over

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Rick..... shortly after I gave you that contact number I found out we were all but shut down in South Florida.

Here in Atlanta, the only work is what's ongoing and/or what was locked in, or had dedicated funds before the shit hit the fan.

Glad to see some areas are still wide open, but it's lookin' bleak here for the home team-

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
It's DEAD here in SWF, my last project was completed in February (twin tower mid-rise 13 story) The GC has a few projects they are finishing up, but no new work. We have been pursuing vulture acquisitions, but all so far have been picked clean to the bone.

Commercial / Residential Construction Management actively seeking position or contract :cool:

Rick
A buddy of mine works for a rather large GC down in that area.(Fort Myers) I was actually down to see him last weekend, and his company is very active right now. He is PMing a couple schools. PM me if you want some contact info.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
work demolition here in Chicago and its slow for any and all construction right now. I know a bunch of people who haul limestone and a couple of those companies have half their fleet parked this season and some are downsizing to keep enough work for a handful of people to stay busy.

Demo is slow right now as well since the majority do work for the city and they simply dont have $$$ in the budget to start projects. The demo we've done this year has been private and most for a new grocery store, assisted living and apartments.

We've got nothing for about another week beside some machine/semi maintenance that needs to get done. We just had a 5 story hotel get pushed back 3 months and the permits have been pulled for over a month :(

times are tough and this year sucks! Rumor is alot of projects are waiting till the election is over
Do you do any interior tenant "mall" demolition? Travel to Aurora?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Thanks anyway Mike....Yeah we've had approx. six or seven good sized towers pull the plug in the FT Myers area.

Rick

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
A buddy of mine works for a rather large GC down in that area.(Fort Myers) I was actually down to see him last weekend, and his company is very active right now. He is PMing a couple schools. PM me if you want some contact info.
PM Sent

Rick

·
Thread killer
1,879 Posts
I am a commercial concrete contractor and my business is brisk with no perceptible downturn for the time being. I am in the middle of a Toyota dealership and getting ready to start a very nice (seven figure contract) project for a local church. We have not had to leave the local area for quite some time now. Keeping 3 crews going pretty steady. If the economy is in such dire straights it has yet to materialize here.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Do you do any interior tenant "mall" demolition? Travel to Aurora?
not usually unless its a big job where heavy equipment is needed. We've got a K-Mart now thats having the abatement done and then we'll strip it of plumbing/electric/ceiling and leave a bare shell like they started from scratch.
Never worked in Aurora, but have worked in the next town south. We try and stay close to the city where the majority of the work is, dumps are close and scrap yards are abundandt.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
not usually unless its a big job where heavy equipment is needed. We've got a K-Mart now thats having the abatement done and then we'll strip it of plumbing/electric/ceiling and leave a bare shell like they started from scratch.
Never worked in Aurora, but have worked in the next town south. We try and stay close to the city where the majority of the work is, dumps are close and scrap yards are abundandt.

Small project only about 4,000 sq.ft.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am a commercial concrete contractor and my business is brisk with no perceptible downturn for the time being. I am in the middle of a Toyota dealership and getting ready to start a very nice (seven figure contract) project for a local church. We have not had to leave the local area for quite some time now. Keeping 3 crews going pretty steady. If the economy is in such dire straights it has yet to materialize here.
Good to hear Kevin..... hope it stays that way for you-
We've been stacking Superintendents and their crews on projects just to keep the crews in tact, thinking the start up's we're slated for will materialize, but it's fast becoming a leaking suture.

I haven't had to travel too far from the house in the last 12 years.
Trying to get some feelers out in the Tenn./Carolina's.....

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Hey Mike, I'm a Commerical Metal Stud, Drywall and Interior Contractor. I've been in business for about 20 years, It's a very weird market right now. Last year was our best year since we been in business, only to be followed by being down about 30% so far this year. We have been pretty busy bidding projects, but it's been a very competitive market this year. We've had 3 or 4 price increases so far this year on our materials and the suppliers are only locking prices for 30 days. It makes it tough to bid work that would be starting down the road. We've had to drop our overhead and profit margins to stay busy and be competitve with our competition. We've tightened our belts and are watching what we're spending to weather the storm. Hopefully things will turn around quickly, so we can get back to a not being on edge everyday...John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts