Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I an the Operations Manager of a small, high end car dealer in Upstate NY and we are in the process of finding ways to save some money going into the winter months when things slow down a bit.

I am currently paying Carfax $700 / month for unlimited Carfax service. In doing some research I found a company named AutoCheck. It appears that AutoCheck lets you run unlimited "AutoCheck's" for $59.99 / month.

I dug a little deeper and it looks like Manheim and Ebay are both using AutoCheck so I figured I would reach out to you all and see if anyone has any feedback in regards to making the switch. It seems like a no brainer BUT there is usually a catch to everything and in a firm believer that if something seems too good to be true it usually isnt.

Any other help / advise you may have to offer in my cost saving effort is welcomed.

Thank you,

Rob

·
Registered
447 Posts
if you are paying $700 for unlimited, what is the cost per inspection? if you are not charging more than $700 worth per month, that would be a start? i know its awful basic.... but if you are happy with the Carfax product/services provided why not continue to use this service, and try to adjust the billing/usage?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
we are a very small used car lot and we dropped carfax some time ago, way overpriced.
now use autocheck and it hasnt been a problem yet.

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we are a very small used car lot and we dropped carfax some time ago, way overpriced.
now use autocheck and it hasnt been a problem yet.

Have you had any customers that were upset becasue they asked for a Carfax and you showed them an AutoCheck?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Have you had any customers that were upset becasue they asked for a Carfax and you showed them an AutoCheck?
not the first one, the next one who knows, i just explain to them we are trying to keep the cost down which i am.
so far its not a problem.

be careful with quitting them (carfax) we forgot to pay them one time so they just cut us off, and that was cool, got it reinstated without any problem so when we decided to quit them i thought just quit paying, not cool, got a call a couple of months later FROM A COLLECTION AGENCY. that took a while to get straightened out lol.
i am not a fan of carfax, any auction in the world can get them to remove anything bad. i have seen it with my own eyes.

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the heads up man, I appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
We run Autocheck as well. But you gotta becareful running too many at one time. I signed up as an "individual" for the unlimited package and its not really unlimited. They flagged my account b/c i ran too many VINs and it looked like i was a dealership (which i was). So just becareful and space out the VIN searches and you should be good. I've done 4-5 a day spaced out and you should be good. We print them out and fax/email them instead of looking them up every single time someone asks for history report.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
People always say Auto Check isn't as complete as Car Fax, misses info, etc., but I've never had a problem with it. Car Fax is far from perfect too. Because of all the advertising, Car Fax has become the generic name for a vehicle inspection report, much like Kleenex to the tissue market.
here's what you do. Open the Auto Check account. Switch the Car Fax from unlimited to dealer rate/per report fee. You furnish everyone the Auto Check, and use Auto Check to research cars, but if you get a customer that still insists on Car Fax, you can run it. With the open dealer account, I think we pay $12 per report....................

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,402 Posts
How many carfaxes do you do a month? A 12 bucks a pop that 58 cars to cover the $700. I've work at dealers that did a car fax for every car that was on the lot, but they moved alot of used cars so i'm sure the cost once broken down per unit was a few dollars tops.

I think the best route would be to try the Auto Check abd Car Fax on every car for a month and prove to yourself if the AC trulys offers the same thing. Once you prove it then you cab consider dropping the car fax and offering it when requested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts