Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondering what engine from the LS's would be the best choice to turbocharge? I have a grand national now and am ready for a new project. I heard the LS2 is good with dished pistons?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I wondering what engine from the LS's would be the best choice to turbocharge? I have a grand national now and am ready for a new project. I heard the LS2 is good with dished pistons?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Chris

how much power are you looking to make?the ls2 block is a sturdy piece-we are making 1700hp on a stock ls2 block.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking to make 1700hp. Maybe in the future lol
when you say stock LS2 block, is that a stock long block?
If not what internals and heads are you running?

Thanks for the help. I have also read that the Dart little M block is very good.

·
Registered
49,443 Posts
huh ?

if you want to build a gen3 gen 4 GM small block what is you intended application ?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm not looking to make 1700hp. Maybe in the future lol
when you say stock LS2 block, is that a stock long block?
If not what internals and heads are you running?

Thanks for the help. I have also read that the Dart little M block is very good.

thats my motor...its only a stock ls2 block

stuffed with callies crank, grp rods, and JE pistons...

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Yup...like mentioned the LS2 will take some BIG power.

·
Registered
103 Posts
With the right prep it will take alot of abuse.
You would want to pin the mains and do an o-ring deck and head studs or step up to the big head studs to hold the big power on an LS2 block.

I'm still trying to make this block decision..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think there more to your ls2 than a strait stock block!!! But would be the best starting point then down the road send it out to V.S to make the mods to go big power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really torn between getting a LS2 long block complete with harness and throwing a turbo on it.
Or go with LS2 short block and go with better crank, pistons,rods & heads.

And now I read that the dart blocks are very good.

Hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
With the right prep it will take alot of abuse.
You would want to pin the mains and do an o-ring deck and head studs or step up to the big head studs to hold the big power on an LS2 block.

I'm still trying to make this block decision..

why do you need big head studs?1700hp is with std arp studs

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think there more to your ls2 than a strait stock block!!! But would be the best starting point then down the road send it out to V.S to make the mods to go big power.

that block is stock except for pinned mains

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm really torn between getting a LS2 long block complete with harness and throwing a turbo on it.
Or go with LS2 short block and go with better crank, pistons,rods & heads.

And now I read that the dart blocks are very good.

Hmmmmm
i would advise putting a turbo on stock ls2 pistons-step up and buy some forged pistons and rods

the only block Dart makes for the ls is a billet block

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Dart block i was looking at was the little m. Does not have to be a LS block.

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
Does the stock LS2 still come with hypereutectic pistons??? How does the rest of the rotating assembly fare as far as strength?? I've got a 2007 c6 corvette with a d1sc procharger and it's making 551 at the wheels... How much farther can I push it??? I know from the factory they are damn near 11:1 compression...

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I figured the info that gets responded will also help you out Chris!!!!:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
that block is stock except for pinned mains
Didnt you do your o-ring set up on his block?

I've thought about welding the hole shut in my block where the rod exited and throwing it back together.
With the mains pinned this time. I got about 15 passes out of it last time and the mains were trashed. I broke a rod bolt or the rod bearing siezed. It was hard to tell from the carnage.
It took out the block, 3 pistons, 2 rods, 2 valves and the crank.:smt089

·
Registered
724 Posts
Didnt you do your o-ring set up on his block?

yes, the block is o-ringed, but that does nothing for block strength....thats to keep the headgaskets on the motor...

when we say stock block we mean stock mains, stock liners, unmodified casting as provided from GM...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
^^^ what do you guys run as far as times?
thanks?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the stock LS2 still come with hypereutectic pistons??? How does the rest of the rotating assembly fare as far as strength?? I've got a 2007 c6 corvette with a d1sc procharger and it's making 551 at the wheels... How much farther can I push it??? I know from the factory they are damn near 11:1 compression...

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I figured the info that gets responded will also help you out Chris!!!!:D
Your setup is the shit! I looked at all the pictures of your build up. DAMN NICE!! Can you tell me your build?

Im planning on building a 73 Z28.

Im just about finished with my Grand National build and am preparing for my next project.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK So if I wanted to do a LS2 build I should just get a bare block and get a better crank pistons rods and heads?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts