Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started trying to tack a floor pan i'm doing. I have a Lincoln 180 Mig with the voltage all the way down and Im burning through the metal really bad. Not as much on the new metal but on the car where it is thinner . I'm using .o35 wire and 75/25 mix. Should I switch to .025? Or flux core wire with no gas? As soon as I touch the trigger I instantly burn through. Anybody have any advice?
Thanks

·
THREAD KILLER
5,135 Posts
I just started trying to tack a floor pan i'm doing. I have a Lincoln 180 Mig with the voltage all the way down and Im burning through the metal really bad. Not as much on the new metal but on the car where it is thinner . I'm using .o35 wire and 75/25 mix. Should I switch to .025? Or flux core wire with no gas? As soon as I touch the trigger I instantly burn through. Anybody have any advice?
Thanks
025 and no flux core

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Turn the machine down, it's set to hot. Most floor pans are as thick as a standard tin pie plate, you have to do a lot of start stop on floor pans

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turn the machine down, it's set to hot. Most floor pans are as thick as a standard tin pie plate, you have to do a lot of start stop on floor pans
I cant turn the machine down. Im already as low as it goes.

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
I use .023 or .025 and make sure the fit is tight. Clamp the pieces and it is a huge help if you can reach the backside to hold a piece of copper, brass or aluminum tight against the weld area. That will prevent blowout and the weld won't stick to it. You can weld up rust holes in tissue-thin metal that way.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use .023 or .025 and make sure the fit is tight. Clamp the pieces and it is a huge help if you can reach the backside to hold a piece of copper, brass or aluminum tight against the weld area. That will prevent blowout and the weld won't stick to it. You can weld up rust holes in tissue-thin metal that way.
My drive rollers only are for .025 and .o35 wire. I wonder if I can try some .023 in it.
By the way, it is all getting buttwelded, no spotwelds. Some of it is a hair separated but I can squeeze them together as I tack.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So are you guys saying that I should be using thinner wire and It shouldn't blast through the existing pan when I tack it.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flux core is shit for any automotive task, also make sure polarity is right
Im using gas and not flux core. I know the polarity is right, the welder (and I) make real nice welds on thicker stuff. Just don't have much experience with stuff this thin.

·
THREAD KILLER
5,135 Posts
Im using gas and not flux core. I know the polarity is right, the welder (and I) make real nice welds on thicker stuff. Just don't have much experience with stuff this thin.
cool, seen guys run reversed polarity and it puts a lot more heat in the base metal. the problem with 35 on thin sheet is it is damn near as thick as the parent or base metal, penetration is not an issue on sheet metal. I keep a linchlon 125 with 023 at the shop just for sheet metal, when you hit it whats it doing is it running away or does it pop instantly?

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
Yes, for floor pans you want to use .023 preferably, or .025 if you have to.
Also, go with an "Easy Grind" alloy wire. It does make a difference. Ask your local welding supply house. I have a big spool of it in .023, and only use it for sheetmetal.
You actually want a very small gap between the metal when you tack it. Very small, but still a gap. When you put the heat into it, the metal is going to expand from heat. If the edges are tight against each other, there is no room for it to grow, and it'll buckle.

-Brad

·
hauling 3650lbs of mail
1,149 Posts
How about wire speed, when I weld thin metal I up the speed a little bit, helps to fill faster

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
ESAB All-state easy grind wire is one type that is pretty easy to get in .023.

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
I like to have a little overlap. Why did you cut it to a butt weld size? Just curious?

That thin, dirty steel will be tough to butt weld.

Make sure both sides are super clean on both pieces.

You will need a new liner and tip to go down to .023, but it is the right choice for the sheet metal.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts