Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that at some tracks they only now run to 1000 ft. I have not been to the states since '06 & have not followed NHRA much since then.

Just curious about this, when did it start? I have not even been able to watch NHRA on TV as the SPEED channel here mainly does F1 & 5 year old re-runs of PINKS!....how fun :(

Just trying to catch up on news & goings on in the racing world, because I still cannot do much & am stuck in the house.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
It started after scott kalitta was killed in his funny car at englishtown in 08. Its gay that it has to be that way, but I dont even care anymore.
Every single track is 1000ft also.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
yah stopped going to winternationals when they implemented this BS. I say 1320ft or nothing

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It started after scott kalitta was killed in his funny car at englishtown in 08. Its gay that it has to be that way, but I dont even care anymore.
Every single track is 1000ft also.
What do you mean? Just for Top Fuel, a certain speed, NHRA or IHRA? Is this why everyone is doing the 1/8 now?(Most of what I see is from the live feeds & grudge races on youtube) I knew they started doing it for obvious reasons(cost, time, etc). But was not aware of any other reasons. I just cannot believe in the 3 years since it happened I never heard once of the 1000 ft change.

I remember the Kalitta crash, just didn't know they changed regulations because of it. I thought I remember hearing them say he was more than likely killed in the explosion,...no amount of shutdown would help that.
Was there proof that it was the shutdown that killed him?
I just do not see how 320 ft is going to matter at over 300+ mph.

Not trying to start any shit. I am honestly curious.

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We know of it of course. There just is no coverage. We have more Austrailian drag racing here on SPEED than anything from the states. It is not the same SPEED from teh states, it is the Latin American version.

Here is a list of the programming....oh how exciting.

http://www.canalspeed.tv/pa/programacion/hoy

·
Aviation Section
26,013 Posts
I stopped watching when they went to 1000', it is only in Top Fuel and Funny Car, the other classes run out to 1320', understand why they did it but still don't like it.

Most tracks, like Englishtown have the city encroaching and they cannot be lengthened and others cannot move the start line back so they have a problem for having a safe shut-down area.

I don't know how to fix it and don't really care, drop the fuel classes and put Stock and Super Stock with Comp on TV and I will be back with the quickness! Dave

·
Aviation Section
26,013 Posts
We know of it of course. There just is no coverage. We have more Austrailian drag racing here on SPEED than anything from the states. It is not the same SPEED from teh states, it is the Latin American version.

Here is a list of the programming....oh how exciting.

http://www.canalspeed.tv/pa/programacion/hoy

With all the little brown skinned cuties running around down there you should not have any strength left to watch Aussie drag racing!, you have been down there so long you take the wildlife for granted! Dave

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
Funny part about this is they're almost running the same speed at 1000' that they were to 1320'.
I havnt kept up with nhra much in the last several years but best I remember is most drivers and crew chiefs were saying that around a 1000' was where the cars kinda layed down. The last 320' it wasn't making any power. That's where they were saying the explosions were coming from.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Kalitta died of blunt force trauma to the head,from hitting a tv crane/lift in the sand traps.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I hate NHRA, after they allow sponsors to dictate its future, it dates since back in the late 70's, NHRA let sponsors to change all classes and eliminate others, they fuck the top fuel class by letting big companies take over it and unleash the POWER of $$$$$$$$$$ run wild on the class FORCING the little guy who used to race for fun and some recognition quit the game,
Changing Pro Stock class from "STOCK" modified cars to all glass custom made NOTHING STOCK race cars that some times didn't even look like STOCK CARS at all, again FORCING the average JOE who want to race the class to quit cuz no one cant compete with the BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ sponsors,
NHRA is a BIG JOKE, now you see they only show on air the big $$$$$$ SPONSOR classes, and the exiting Super Stock, Stock eliminator, ext ext hell if i know who's racing on those ones!

FUCK NHRA, FUCK ESPN, FUCK ALL OF THE ONES WHO TOOK PART ON THAT EVOLUTION and their descendants!

End of rant, hell i feel way better now!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You didn't hear the drivers complain about getting that extra 320' of shut down area. And you did hear from most of the drivers a sigh of releaf when they reduced it.
The speeds were pushing the 340 mph area and the tracks just did not have the needed shut down footage to be safe when running the 1320' track.

I didn't like it when they reduced it to 1000' for T/F and Funny car. but I now think they did the right thing for the safety of the drivers.

Blessings...........Ron

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
maybe they could have put an extra chute on them?? wonder how that might have helped

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not trying to start shit. Just a some questions. Have there been any T/F car incidents since they have done this? What made them decide on the 1000 ft number? Actual calculations or just saying..eh 1000 is a good number?

It's just trying to relearn this shit all over again. It has been WAY to long. How long. Well in Japan we ran slicks or street tires(mid to late 90's) & did 400M I came back to the states in late 2000 & was in the middle of BFE Oklahoma. Was not until 2004 until I saw my 1st drag radial car at Bradenton.
Just trying to catch up & keep up with what is going on.

You didn't hear the drivers complain about getting that extra 320' of shut down area. And you did hear from most of the drivers a sigh of releaf when they reduced it.
The speeds were pushing the 340 mph area and the tracks just did not have the needed shut down footage to be safe when running the 1320' track.

I didn't like it when they reduced it to 1000' for T/F and Funny car. but I now think they did the right thing for the safety of the drivers.

Blessings...........Ron

·
Read Only
5,341 Posts
The sport and technology outgrew the tracks that were in place. I hate it as well, but unless the track owners are able to have a longer shut down, this is what we are left with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts