Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an appointment in a few weeks to have LASIK done.I am a bit nervous.I keep reading about all these horror stories .Has anyone had it done who works on cars steady,like welding fabrication,painting.One of the sites said that the flap never 100% heals and can get infected or knocked open.The doctor told me its very rare that infections occur.I asked my wifes girlfriend who is an ER nurse and has been a nurse for like 25 years.She said she has never seen anything like that and has seen thousands of cateracs surgeries as well and rarely sees infections if so they are treated asap.She said I may have dry eyes for a bit,her brother had it done 10 tears ago and loves it. .This is not one the Dr.s that advertise on the radio.He was recommended by two people.My second concern is the Halos and starburstsI do lots of night driving and like to race at night as well.I was on Youtube for a bit and I think it was a mistake.All sorts of crazy reasons saying its bad ,even on 20/20 with Diane Sawyer .So far I have spoken to a few people that had it done and said its the best thing they ever did.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
My brother is a tech and had it done a few years ago .. lots of welding/grinding etc and never had an issue .. he doesn't have starbursts or anything like that either ... use proper eye protection as always and you shold be fine
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had LASIK done about 8 years ago. Never a single problem. Went from 20/200 to 20/25. No, starbursts or haze rings. No infetions, no flap problems. Just great corrected vision. Do your homework on your Doctor and then squeeze the trigger.

~RB

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i had mine done best thing i ever did. was 20/800 before surgery and now 20/15... i didnt have the flap procedure i had the other type. my gf had the flap procedure done and her eyes are getting bad already almost to wear she needs glasses again. we had it done about 2 years ago. i dont do anything special now because i had it done except i can see great. its a great feeling waking up in the morning and seeing clear or if you look at clock in the middle of the night to be able to see it without glasses or contacts in.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had LASIK done about 8 years ago. Never a single problem. Went from 20/200 to 20/25. No, starbursts or haze rings. No infetions, no flap problems. Just great corrected vision. Do your homework on your Doctor and then squeeze the trigger.

~RB
This Dr is pretty good at fixing lots of LASIK mess ups as well.Like I said he was recommended and is not one of those radio advertisement guys.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I haven't had it done yet but will need to eventually. Needless to say I've done a lot of research. After all, it's my vision I'm dealing with. The amazing thing about eye tissue is how quickly it heals. Even if the procedure does not give the expected results the first time, the procedure can be redone within 8 weeks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am having it done Thursday at 12:30 and am nervous as well, but know several who have had it done and they love it. BTW, the Dr said the flap will heal back in a few days. I will let U know how it went, David.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am having it done Thursday at 12:30 and am nervous as well, but know several who have had it done and they love it. BTW, the Dr said the flap will heal back in a few days. I will let U know how it went, David.
Without a doubt report back,My appointment is on Jan 28 !!! He is going to do it bladelss,Wavefront technology.Computer/laser will do everthing.

·
42,649 Posts
I had mine done in August of 08, and knew going in that i'd have to get an enhancement based on how bad my eyesight was...I have been more than happy, and am going next month to get the enhancement...If you go to a quality doctor, you'll be wondering why you didnt do it sooner...As for the starbursts, I had some for a few months at night, but not bad enough to ever bug me...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I had it done in 01/02, can't remember the exact date. Flap style, look at a red dot while they zap tour eye. I'm a auto tech, general repair, light welding etc. Biggest thing I noticed is it made me be a fanatic about wearing safety glasses. Before metal and rust would land on my contact lens I could just take it out and rinse it off or if the metal stained the lens, just thro it out. Now it's landing on my eye. So a couple of trips to the eye Dr. to get metal/rust whatever dug out and I learned.

As far as halos/starburst...when I had it done I was on our works road race team. One of my jobs was driving the transporter. Driving at night was a challenge at first. I had a "light" prescription glasses to clear up the halos. That only lasted about 6-8 months.

I have absolutely no regrets, it was the best money that I ever spent. I was 20/200ish now 20/20. I love the freedom from glasses/contacts.
BTW...one of my pieces of metal in the eye landed directly on my flap scare!! After it was removed everythings been good. It's amazing how my eyes heal.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had mine done in 2000. And would do it again in a heart beat. I went from coke bottle glasses to no glasses at all. I work on cars and weld everyday. I changed to a gold lens in my fixed shade helmet and also use an auto-darken. No post op problems no pain. I heard all the bad ones but they went to the 400.00 an eye doc's so you get what you pay for. I do have a little starburst, but I also had it before because of my astigmatism. Also have some dry eye ,but between not very much rest and working in a shop enviroment and this dang computer I can live with it. Yes there is the possiblity of having t have a tune-up in a few years. Wish you luck. Check out your doc and ask him questions. If he won't answer them. RUN!!!

·
In Glock I Trust
6,655 Posts
Had mine done in the Army in 04, no problems.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I had mine done September of 1998 and it is the best thing I ever did. I was a bit nervous going into it as well, but there is no pain involved and you wake up the next day seeing great. They have to tell you all the bad things that can happen but they rarely do. I only have a problem with dry eyes from time to time but moisturizing eye drops take care of that with no problem. During the first couple weeks after the procedure I had halos at night but it goes away in a few weeks, nothing that would prevent you from driving or racing.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I had it done in 2000, and I would do it again in a second. I would have it done at a repuable place tho. I had mine done at Wills Eye in Philadelphia. I work on cars as a hobby, and heavy in the construction field everyday. By far the best thing I have done for my self. Dont know how it is now, but get a late in the day app. no light for the rest of the day. This way you can go home and sleep. You will wake up in the morning and see a different world..

·
Registered
740 Posts
had mine done in 01. still 20/20 today.

I'm 42 and my reading vision is starting to fade a little. the dr told me that this would happen when I got in my 40's and it would be due to age and nothing to do with the lasik.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts