Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to wondering.......if non-treaded tires provide the best traction and tire treads are really only for bad weather conditions, why do most drag racing front tires have tread? They'll never be driven in the rain. Wouldn't a non-treaded front tire give better handling, the same way they do on any roundy-round or road course car?

·
Registered
57 Posts
you know.. i've always wondered how much water gets layed down in the path of your rear tire by front runners after you drive through the burnout box..and up to the starting line.

i have a picture of my car at my house blown up on the wall... 1.3x 60ft and the front runners are soaking wet clear as day (and they were on the ground...no wheelie)

:smt102

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
I would think that the flexing tread would make for more resistance. And Top Fuel and Funny Car tires aren't treaded, so they must have less rolling resistance.

Top Fuel and Funny car tires are replaced more than you think...something along the lines of 6-8 passes. Hence they are replaced long before any "tread" would be worn out.

It is about strength and length of life. Most full bodied or even sportsman dragsters and roadsters will go their entire life w/ the same fronts or close to it.

Plus with the weight and pit conditions you will be glad that your front tires have tread on them. Besides the tread depth is far less than that of a "street" tire.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I would think that the flexing tread would make for more resistance. And Top Fuel and Funny Car tires aren't treaded, so they must have less rolling resistance.
Funny Cars use a wider tire with tread, dragsters are the only ones that use the bald narrow tire.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
I have driven dragsters w/ both types of tires...treaded and non. The non treaded Goodyears on my familys Undercover car felt solid going down the track...but felt sketchy in the pits. Now the other car was an old Garlits built rear engine car from the early 70's That was run by the Carrol Bros out of Texas. The old "bicycle" style tires were decent in the pits. But they were "spongy" and felt like I was driving a hammer drill into a brick wall going down the track. Not cool at 160.

Goodyear and the other tire guys know whats up...I wouldn't worry about trying to re-invent the wheel on this one.

Cool subject though.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goodyear and the other tire guys know whats up...I wouldn't worry about trying to re-invent the wheel on this one.
I figured there was probably a simple logical explanation but I hadn't considered what was mentioned above about treaded tires dragging water up to the starting line. That seems like it could be a pretty big deal, though I haven't ever noticed it myself. I've sure noticed it from street cars doing it on TNT nite, though. :mad:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
When I went to the track with a guy that ran an A/S 427 Fairlane traction was always an issue and he would always back into the water box to keep water off the front and dripping on the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts