Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 505 (4.25x4.35)BB Chevy, Brodix cnc 2xtra heads, 13.6:1. Cam is 281-296 @ .050, .838-.780 lift on 114lca.
Customer brought everything but the cam and pistons to me so it's what I have to work with.
My question is have any of you build a BB Chevy using this Dart 4150 intake with a 4150 style carb and made over 800HP?

Someone's ported it, not sure how much but I will flow the heads with the intake on to see where it's at. I've heard they are kinda small for 500" engines but I don't know that for a fact.
I do have an adapter and 1050 I can throw on there when we dyno the thing but I would like to hear what you guys have seen using this intake on BB Chevy's making around 800HP or so.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I'm building a 505 (4.25x4.35)BB Chevy, Brodix cnc 2xtra heads, 13.6:1. Cam is 281-296 @ .050, .838-.780 lift on 114lca.
Customer brought everything but the cam and pistons to me so it's what I have to work with.
My question is have any of you build a BB Chevy using this Dart 4150 intake with a 4150 style carb and made over 800HP?

Someone's ported it, not sure how much but I will flow the heads with the intake on to see where it's at. I've heard they are kinda small for 500" engines but I don't know that for a fact.
I do have an adapter and 1050 I can throw on there when we dyno the thing but I would like to hear what you guys have seen using this intake on BB Chevy's making around 800HP or so.

Thanks,
Brian
Have saw several engines do what you want with allot of work to dart intake.We have had good results with 4500 adapter on intake and put it in mill and get it opened up some and then hand blend it.imo your cam area is big for combo.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i built a 427,, .060 over,, +.013 on stroke,, about 440 cubic inches,,, gm/edelbrock heads,, stock valve sizes,, 12/1 comp stock 850 carb with the air horn on it,, dart manifold i ported

nhra legal super stock,, made 840 615

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i built a 427,, .060 over,, +.013 on stroke,, about 440 cubic inches,,, gm/edelbrock heads,, stock valve sizes,, 12/1 comp stock 850 carb with the air horn on it,, dart manifold i ported

nhra legal super stock,, made 840 615
Well if we made more power he'd be happy I'm sure!

Jeff, did you have to do any welding or just porting?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
The Dart needs the work just to equal the other intakes right out of the box.
I cant debate you on that i havent put a intake on out of the box in 25 years.Guys spend big bucks on heads then dont on intake.Guys tell me snipers are great out of box .Alls i see is more work...

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
The Darts just don't have enough room in some application and (or) in some places in the manifold. Thats all I was trying to say.
IMO..........

T-flow
I agree with you fully .But to the ops question,i have saw several 468 480 496 area engines on dyno .4150 stuff average 800 to 850hp .And have put a few adapters on for dominator and make a hair more.And this would be things that can be done on inside of intake >no ext welding etc.You said 800hp plus that covers allot of area.Imo your cam area will need addressed.It still will take allot of work and detail.Your small bore will also make it tough to go past mid 800s .

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you fully .But to the ops question,i have saw several 468 480 496 area engines on dyno .4150 stuff average 800 to 850hp .And have put a few adapters on for dominator and make a hair more.And this would be things that can be done on inside of intake >no ext welding etc.You said 800hp plus that covers allot of area.Imo your cam area will need addressed.It still will take allot of work and detail.Your small bore will also make it tough to go past mid 800s .
Planning on a HP peak of 7200rpm so why is the cam wrong? Seems good to me. It'll have the compression to run it.

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
Planning on a HP peak of 7200rpm so why is the cam wrong? Seems good to me. It'll have the compression to run it.
Pretty hard to build an engine around a cam. It's a little backwards. 114 is a lot of LSA and you have quite a bit of split but not much lift for that kind of duration. IMO way too much ex. for those heads, heads are on the large size for the engine and rpm, and the Dart intake is going to hold you back.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but what do people think about the Brodix HVH line of intakes for BBCs? Do they need as much work as the Dart intakes? Seems like everyone feels that Edelbrock's stuff is the best outa the box.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Pretty hard to build an engine around a cam. It's a little backwards. 114 is a lot of LSA and you have quite a bit of split but not much lift for that kind of duration. IMO way too much ex. for those heads, heads are on the large size for the engine and rpm, and the Dart intake is going to hold you back.
Very well stated ..........

·
Registered
7,210 Posts

Thanks,
Brian
If that engine was 15.6 to 1 that cam wouldnt be my choice.If you want to run nitrous you are not bad.Call a couple cam companies and see what they tell you.I think you will see what Scott Foxwell said is correct.Be honest with cam company on parts and what your expectations are.
People on this thread have given you good advice/imo.
Vince

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
In a Thread I started about a 540 we did for my car I posted that I have the Dart 4500 Intake and all that had been done to it was to Gasket match it and that was one of the first things guys started telling me I did wrong with that Motor...(what makes me sick is there was a Bunch of Super Vic's 4500 Intakes all over the place that were for sale all over the place both new and used when I bought the Dart) anyway I called a Buddy who is a real Parts/Swap Meet NUT and is always buying here and selling there and it just so happens that he has a New In the Box Edelbrock # 2927 4500 Super Vic for a BBC and a Nearly New PRO-FILER Sniper Intake for 4500 Rect.Port Short Deck (thats what I need) and this winter I am Going to have all 3 the Dart I have now and the Vic and Pro-Filer along with my Pair of BB2X's to have them run on the Flow Bench first and then it's just a simple thing of taking the best flowing one and porting it to match my Heads after they get the Treatment.....and the one that works the best for my combo will then get put on my Engine for next Summer and then at least for me the mystery will be solved come next spring and I will make this decision based on what actually works best.....not what I Think or have heard.
I had to learn the Hard way by trial and error.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
In a Thread I started about a 540 we did for my car I posted that I have the Dart 4500 Intake and all that had been done to it was to Gasket match it and that was one of the first things guys started telling me I did wrong with that Motor...(what makes me sick is there was a Bunch of Super Vic's 4500 Intakes all over the place that were for sale all over the place both new and used when I bought the Dart) anyway I called a Buddy who is a real Parts/Swap Meet NUT and is always buying here and selling there and it just so happens that he has a New In the Box Edelbrock # 2927 4500 Super Vic for a BBC and a Nearly New PRO-FILER Sniper Intake for 4500 Rect.Port Short Deck (thats what I need) and this winter I am Going to have all 3 the Dart I have now and the Vic and Pro-Filer along with my Pair of BB2X's to have them run on the Flow Bench first and then it's just a simple thing of taking the best flowing one and porting it to match my Heads after they get the Treatment.....and the one that works the best for my combo will then get put on my Engine for next Summer and then at least for me the mystery will be solved come next spring and I will make this decision based on what actually works best.....not what I Think or have heard.
you need to port match before you flow or you will get goofy results.A flow bench can get you a idea about whats going on but has nothing to do with real world results.I have never pulled up to racetrack and had to race a dyno or flowbench.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
honestly i used to this same thing 30 years ago.But now we first take manifold and get some basic measurements and see if it can even come close to working with head and told combo.If so then i port it and then go to bench to see how its doing.You take a intake out of the box and flow it you may see air go backwards if port alignment is not right.You may have best intake in your hands and not even know by flowing it out of box.i havent used a intake out of box and flowed or ran it like that in 25 years.All intakes can be improved a bunch.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We made 897hp with a dart 4150 manifold and a pro systems 1000cfm carb! I port matched the manifold and did a quick blend @ the runner entrance for our first dyno session. The engine is a 525 bbc with ported 335 AFR heads and 14.5:1 cr. Made peak @ 7400rpm ! We put an adapter plate and a dominator and only picked up 12hp due to the manifold design. There is free horsepower fore sure with a modern dominator manifold and carb !!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts