Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already dropped by the newbie thread and need some tech help please !!! This may be a dumb question but here it goes , I plan on installing a 14 point cage in my 81 Malibu and would like to use the swing out type ends on the door cross bars so I can take them out while driving on the street ! I know you can do this with an 8 or 10 point and would like to do it with a 14 also , I know it would be a pain to get both bars to swing out together that's why I would simply remove them when I'm not at the track ! I hope I'm explaining this right ?!?! Thanks for any help .........

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well a if you are talking about the X style door bars I guess you caa but I would check with the local cert guy. They will al read the rule book differant. I would not do it but I know many have do it in the past.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why wouldn't you do it , do you think it would create a weak point in the cage ??? This is just a thought and I'm not dead set on it but would like some opinions on it ! If it's gonna hurt the strength of the cage then I may just scrap the idea cause I'd rather be safe than sorry !

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
In A street car it would be fine but if the car is going to be raced and has good power then I would not. It is a strength issue.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's gonna be a street car but should run some high 8s in the 1/4 so mabey that idea is better left alone ?!?! Thanks for the help and is there anyone you would recommend for a cage kit for my 81 Malibu ?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was talking about the being able to remove the X door bars to make it easier to get in and out of the car but a lot of people have advised against it for safety reasons ! I've also heard a lot of good things about the S&W cages , looks like I'll be getting one of those for my Malibu. Thanks for all the help !

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
A swing out on a X style door bar will look completely retarded and basically be useless. If you build it right it can be safe AND comfortable/easy to get in and out.
Tell us how you really feel!!! HAHA. I agree as well...its not a good idea. A car requiring that much of a cage needs to be as solid as can be...dont do it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would be nervous about the car settling over time. beating it up on public roads without the door x in place. then trying to get the pins to line up again after a couple months of street driving it. I would not do it. put rocker bars in it as well. you can't have too many bars in the car at that speed. I'm only looking to run high nines and run a 14 point

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for all the advise ! Tininjun67 , you have a good point about the car settling ........ I plan on a lot of street miles and was wanting to make it a comfortable as possible but it looks like I'll just have to climb in and out and over the door bars , I would rather be safe than take any chances ! Thanks again to everyone

1 - 17 of 17 Posts