Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working on this coyote problem on the home front. Got this idea to use one of those driveway alarms out in the back field with some dead squirls burryed under ground. The idea is when I’m siting in the couch at night and I’ll have the driveway sensor mounted to a post looking over the bait. When the coyote goes in front of the driveway sensor, a alarm will ring in my kitchen and I can jump up and grab my rifle and come out the back door with my spot light and shoot him. My question is will they even bother. A post on the middle of a field and the flashing red light sketch them out or naw?

·
44,071 Posts
Those bad boys run in packs,...and usually catch and kill whatever they're hunting,...so you better bring enough ammo and be a good shot because you could be their dinner.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
77,147 Posts
I SPOKE TO A LAND OWNER OF A LARGE RANCH IN TEXAS...AND HE TRAPS ABOUT 120 AND 70 BOBCATS A YEAR...FOR THE LAST 6 YEARS STRAIGHT....YOU ARENT KILLING THAT MANY WITH A GUN...UNLESS YOU HAVE A COPTER...BUT ITS HARD TO BEAT A PREDATOR CALL...AND FLAT SHOOTING SMALLER CALIBER...OR EVEN A BOW..IF YOURE A MAN

·
Non me ne frega un cazzo
31,571 Posts
Surprised you didn't post this under your Novakillerct account

Still working on this coyote problem on the home front. Got this idea to use one of those driveway alarms out in the back field with some dead squirls burryed under ground. The idea is when I’m siting in the couch at night and I’ll have the driveway sensor mounted to a post looking over the bait. When the coyote goes in front of the driveway sensor, a alarm will ring in my kitchen and I can jump up and grab my rifle and come out the back door with my spot light and shoot him. My question is will they even bother. A post on the middle of a field and the flashing red light sketch them out or naw?

·
Satans Daddy
14,064 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Those bad boys run in packs,...and usually catch and kill whatever they're hunting,...so you better bring enough ammo and be a good shot because you could be their dinner.
You might be thinking of wolves. Coyotes rarely are in large packs. Now that might vary by area I don't know but I almost never see more than 2 adults at a time. With occasionally a couple more. I am much more wary of wolves but they are mostly North of me here so not a real concern although there are some.
I'd be far more concerned about two strange pitbulls in my yards than a couple of coyotes. Death by coyote? Unless you are a small child almost unheard of.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
77,147 Posts
IN SOUTH TEXAS WHERE THEIR NUMBERS ARE MASSIVE...THEY RUN IN PACKS...AND WORK RABBITS

·
44,071 Posts
You might be thinking of wolves. Coyotes rarely are in large packs. Now that might vary by area I don't know but I almost never see more than 2 adults at a time. With occasionally a couple more. I am much more wary of wolves but they are mostly North of me here so not a real concern although there are some.

I'd be far more concerned about two strange pitbulls in my yards than a couple of coyotes. Death by coyote? Unless you are a small child almost unheard of.
There's a pack that hunt behind my property. You can hear them at night,.... any where from 8:30pm to 2:30am. While I'll admit, I don't see them directly, I can tell there's more that 2 or 3,....could be 2 adults with quite a few adolescents, so you may be right,...but I'd consider that a pack. As far as the pitbull statement,...I agree.

·
Deplorable Basketcase
8,851 Posts
you are going about it all wrong as usual..
I feed the squirrels a few nuggets of dogfood every morning and they keep the 'yotes at bay for me.
my savage attack squirrels! .. :)
I got an army of nasty little bastards in case of infiltration.

·
Deplorable Basketcase
8,851 Posts
There's a pack that hunt behind my property. You can hear them at night,.... any where from 8:30pm to 2:30am. While I'll admit, I don't see them directly, I can tell there's more that 2 or 3,....could be 2 adults with quite a few adolescents, so you may be right,...but I'd consider that a pack. As far as the pitbull statement,...I agree.
I heard them the last 2 nights..makes the hair on your neck stand up,
I needed to walk out to the barn to get a pallet for the woodburner..heard that shit go off and said fuck it. lol
rather deal with the cold.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
We are buried in coyotes where we live, Corrales, NM, and we have seen them in packs of 12, but 4 to 6 is the norm. We can't shoot or trap them in the village, but the more coyotes you do shoot, the more they breed. They know there strength is in numbers.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts