Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read and heard that it's not recommended to have freshly coated headers on a freshened up or rebuilt engine during initial start up...why is that????

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,045 Posts
most ceramic headers are not fully cured , when they get put on a fresh engine 2 things can happen , the assembly oil will ruin the coating on the inside . and 2 if its a fresh engine the odds are it isnt tuned yet which can create high egt's ruining the finish .

thats my story and im sticking to it !

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Had my new headders don by JET HOT in thier sterling finish. Threw em on the new motor on the dyno ( water brake) never had an issue. They did cloud up at the first bend out of the head after about 25 passes. THEY said it was from the extreme egt from the nitrous. I asked if it was a tune up issue they said no. They told me all the nitrous cars will do that to thier coating.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. So 255digger odds are you need to "break in" the ceramic coating on a combination that is already established?

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,398 Posts
During engine break in you usually run the engine from 1500 to 2500 rpm for close to a half hour, the egt's will usually exceed the rating of the coating, this will dull the coating and help it fail earlier. and if it's from Jet-Hot, it will eventually fail....

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
During engine break in you usually run the engine from 1500 to 2500 rpm for close to a half hour, the egt's will usually exceed the rating of the coating, this will dull the coating and help it fail earlier. and if it's from Jet-Hot, it will eventually fail....
Yea I have a friend of mine that has Jet-Hot coated headers...2 years and already rusting. No thanks, I think I'll try Nitroplate.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,045 Posts
Interesting. So 255digger odds are you need to "break in" the ceramic coating on a combination that is already established?
basically yes . i do ceramics at my shop for my own stuff , same chemical jet hot and others use . i do a cure on the headers around 600 degs in the oven and then put them on a broke in engine and no problems .

but like said , sometimes you can get away with it , others no , the coating guys put that disclamier on there to protect there ass .

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
i think the engine break in thing has a lot to do with not getting air circulation to cool them too.... the egts are higher on a new engine and a new engine is usually getting revved for a period of time then there also is no air to cool them so they get hot.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I had Danny Ross at Foxfire Coatings coat several sets of SBC headers for the dyno room as well as the headers on my car. My headers are 6 yrs old and look fine. The dyno headers have dulled but still look OK and have no rust. The dyno headers dulled due excessive heat but Danny said they could be polished back if I wanted. We just didn't want rusty look and customers like a clean motor appearance when they come to see their motor pulled on so we just left them dull but no rust.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,108 Posts
PUT THEM ON IT.....IT'S NOT A SHOW CAR....AND WHEN YA SPRAY EM....THEY WILL GLOSS OVER ANY WAYS....BETTER THAN RUSTY BLACK ONES!:)

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PUT THEM ON IT.....IT'S NOT A SHOW CAR....AND WHEN YA SPRAY EM....THEY WILL GLOSS OVER ANY WAYS....BETTER THAN RUSTY BLACK ONES!:)
Boy you got that right! It's not the slightest bit pretty....but I just want to get the underhood temperature down a little bit. Right now the headers are just black and they are starting to get a little rust on them.....so I figure this winter when the engine is out will be a good time to get them coated and I was wondering about the break-in procedures.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
have had Jet-Hot and 2 local shops in Indy..
never had a problem on a new motor...yet..
but nitrous will give the silver finishes a chalky look..usually begins to flake off after a coupla years..

the dark finishes that are rated to around 2000 degs..
I haven't had any problems with on nitrous or small blower..yet..
and I have neither right now..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts