Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people have heard of a 14 car pro ladder! We only had 14 cars for a 16 car feild! One would think that #1 and# 2 would have a bye run right? 1 vs 16 , 2 vs 15, and so on, not # 1 vs #14!

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,394 Posts
first round:

1 vs 14, 2 vs 13, 3 vs 12, 4 vs 11, 5 vs 10, 6 vs 9, 7 vs 8

Second round:

1 vs BYE, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5

SEMI:

1 vs 4, 2 vs 3

FINAL:

1 vs 2

It aint rocket science.....

Vanilla

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
first round:

1 vs 14, 2 vs 13, 3 vs 12, 4 vs 11, 5 vs 10, 6 vs 9, 7 vs 8

Second round:

1 vs BYE, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5

SEMI:

1 vs 4, 2 vs 3

FINAL:

1 vs 2

It aint rocket science.....

Vanilla

Bingo.

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,995 Posts
You can manually create a ladder after you've drawn one up, yes. But all of the auto generated ladders do that crap where someone has a bye in the semis. Or other goofy stuff.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
You can manually create a ladder after you've drawn one up, yes. But all of the auto generated ladders do that crap where someone has a bye in the semis. Or other goofy stuff.
Instead of that, could have just did a 16 car ladder, and give 1 and 2 a bye first rd then everyone runs next rd 8, 4, 2 but that would be too simple. :rolleyes:

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,995 Posts
Instead of that, could have just did a 16 car ladder, and give 1 and 2 a bye first rd then everyone runs next rd 8, 4, 2 but that would be too simple. :rolleyes:

16 car pro or 16 car sportsman, neither will generate it that way. That's what we've been saying. If you have less than 16 cars on a 16 car ladder, to get all the byes in the first round, you have to manually enter the ladder.

·
Never hit Newbie Thread
10,394 Posts
Puddin,

I am going to make an assumption here, but I believe it is done that way because of year end points totals. Im sure there are other reasons, but this is one that comes to mind..

If there are 14 cars and they use a 16 car field, then one racer hasnt earned the bye run, and as such, hasnt earned the points for that round. Over the course of the year, that could certainly add up. By using a 14 car ladder for a 14 car field, then the racer that gets to take advantage of the bye run has actually earned it.

I can see both sides, but I would hate to see somebody use a 16 car ladder for less than 15 cars.....

Vanilla

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
The NHRA (and ADRL and IHRA and just about everyone else) have ladders that are set up to have only one bye in each round where there are an odd number of cars, no byes if there are an even number. #1 qualifier branch of the tree gets the first available bye, #2 qualifier branch gets the second bye, #3 qualifier branch gets the third. The only difference between Pro and Sportsman ladders is the pairings - Pro ladder matches the #1 qualifier with the slowest qualifier in the bottom half, the Sportsman ladder matches #1 with the quickest qualifier in the bottom half, and that logic carries through to the following rounds.

14 is an even number, so no byes, 1 vs 14 in round one.

If the #14 qualifier had been anyone other than Chuck Ulsch, I don't think it would have been an issue and you can thank Mother Nature for that - if there had been two days of qualifying, Ulsch probably would have figured things out and wouldn't have had to race the #1 qualifier in round one. I am sure that neither one of them liked that matchup in the opening round.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.