Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put QA1 Stocker R (Singler Adj) shocks on the front of a factory suspension 68-72 nova?? The shock will not fit up in the hole in the lower. I can trim it, but it will get into the bolt holes. ALso, how in the world could you adjust it if you get it in there?

Just wondering

Thanks
James

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put HAL Corp shocks onto an early Camaro once. They're the company that QA1 bought out, and their "Stocker" shock IS the HAL Corp shock. Yes, you have to hog out the lower control arm hole a bit because of the diameter of the shock, but if you're careful, and only file out just enough to get the shock and the adustment knob through (so it becomes a "T" shaped hole), it can be done while leaving enough meat to bolt the shock back up to the control arm.

As for the adjuster, they're not meant to be adjusted on the car. In order to mount them in the stock location, the adjuster has to be inside the spring. It's just the way it is. You set it where you think you need it when you first install them, then if you need to adjust it later, it's just the two bolts on the bottom to remove the shock. If you do it by keeping the weight of the front end on the tires, there's enough room to pull it out far enough to get to the knob.

OR, if you're really nice to your wife or girlfriend, it is possible to get small fingers around the spring wire with the index finger of both hands and twist the knob while the shock is still bolted in...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not sure if the are the same but I have them and can adjust them when needed

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Yes you have to grind some stock lower control arms to get them through. Once they are installed, if your fingers won't do the trick simply jack up the car to seperate the coils in the springs and stick a straight slot in there to adjust them.

The knob has a slot for that built into it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I saw the slot in the knob and that was the first option that came to mind. I also have another question on it as well. I have heard you need to have 5 inches of travel to make the suspension work. I only have about 3-3.5. Can I cut the coil to lower the car about an inch and gain that travel?? How much to cut on the moroso trick springs to lower an inch?? And, how much travel do I need in the rear shocks on this thing?? Street strip car, nothing radical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts