Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
q16, went to race last saturday, been in tank since. Cell has a roll over check valve, though it seems to seal very well. Can I put it back in the metal cans and it still be good tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Every transfer of race fuel means loss of light ends ( seen as vapors ) , possible contamination from containers, and from even airborne dust and grit. For the best possible performance, you want fuel that's only gone from the original container into the fuel cell.
Taking the fuel from the can, to the cell, back to the can, and then back to the cell won't necessarily make the fuel unusable. But it won't have the same performance that it did when fresh.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
We started draining the tank after every outing and running the engine for a minute or 2 on a non oxygenated fuel to try and help prevent corrosion. We drain the Q from the cell drain right back into the original 5 gal pal, cap on, and then metal tape over the cap to completely seal it, picked that tip up from Chris U.

I have left Q in the tank for 10 days in the summer, next trip to the track the engine would break up over 4,000 rpm.

·
Registered
67,546 Posts
That is your best move. Sucks but highly oxygenated fuels such as Q16 has a very short shelf life, out of the can, when exposed to the environment.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've never had corrosion issues but If we leave the fuel in the tank from one week to the next I can hear the difference in the engines responsiveness. It's a pain to deal with but worth the performance gain.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Mix the stuff you take out of the tank with pump gas and put it in your generator or if you have a pit bike or better yet a go cart. Use this as an excuse to go get a go cart or a dirt bike. Lol.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
We started draining the tank after every outing and running the engine for a minute or 2 on a non oxygenated fuel to try and help prevent corrosion. We drain the Q from the cell drain right back into the original 5 gal pal, cap on, and then metal tape over the cap to completely seal it, picked that tip up from Chris U.

I have left Q in the tank for 10 days in the summer, next trip to the track the engine would break up over 4,000 rpm.
I always put the Q-16 back into the VP metal can, but so never taped the cap until reading this post, now I tape the cap. I'm assuming that storing the fuel this way for a month should be fine?
Is everyone using the metal VP cans to store their fuel, or is there a better can for that?

·
Smashing Big Blocks
7,696 Posts
Mix the stuff you take out of the tank with pump gas and put it in your generator or if you have a pit bike or better yet a go cart. Use this as an excuse to go get a go cart or a dirt bike. Lol.
I did this once with my scooter, and it killed the carburetor with VP110. Added 1/2 gallon with pump gas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We've left it in the tank, Car's consistent two weeks later. The only problem we had was after a couple seasons the floats leaked some goo that stuck them to the floor of the bowl. This happened sitting empty over the winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have run it for years and never drained anything, never had a problem. We run a high seven second bracket car and have never seen the performance suffer, just cap the vent on the cell after the race. the fuel cells are small enough that the new fuel would dilute the old fuel i would think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts