Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SEENYOR MEMBER
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A am helping a buddy realize his dream street car. We are doing it at my house.

Body and floorpans are good, but it needs rear 1/4's. We have the Dyna Corn panels but havent a CLUE where to start. Estimates to install them are around $2500. We cant even get anyone that knows over to my house with a sharpie marker to mark where and where not to cut.

I know the power of da Bullet can help a brutha out.

A few pics of said Chevelle

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
They take a decent amount of hours, and a bit of fiddling to get right.

If you have the new ones sit them over the old ones on the car and see where they go and what panels they go under. Not impossible and it will be rewarding if you get it done right. Keep us updated when you get it done.

·
SEENYOR MEMBER
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they are full 1/4's. I am worried about the trunk area and the door jamb. I dont want to screw that up.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My advice to you as a professional body & paint shop owner is to STOP right now. If you dont have a clue to where to start, You have NO business working on the guys car. You will never know how many times people do what you are getting ready to do and have screwed up a car so that it takes 40+ more hours to save it.....if it can be saved. You are cutting into the main structure of the car once you do that and whatever you do will either make or break that car for the rest of its life. You NEED to SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP!! Once the panels are in you could help all you want then. My shop likes the body still on the frame to install the 1/4s since once you cut the panels off the body will twist and rotate keep that in mind..... You cant stop it either. And one last thing, if you get in over your head that $2500 to get them installed will become $5000 to save it later and real fast.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
ANd one more thing, just because someone took pictures while they installed panels doesnt mean you can do it too. It takes a skill level to do the actual hands on that most people will never have. (you already stated your level)

·
SEENYOR MEMBER
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been VERY reluctant to do this. I told him we needed to HAVE them put on. I have done alot to cars over the years myself, was a dealer tech for 12 years. But I have never had any experience in this....neither does he. We are doing this together. I am helping him get it together.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,849 Posts
My advice to you as a professional body & paint shop owner is to STOP right now. If you dont have a clue to where to start, You have NO business working on the guys car. You will never know how many times people do what you are getting ready to do and have screwed up a car so that it takes 40+ more hours to save it.....if it can be saved. You are cutting into the main structure of the car once you do that and whatever you do will either make or break that car for the rest of its life. You NEED to SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP!! Once the panels are in you could help all you want then. My shop likes the body still on the frame to install the 1/4s since once you cut the panels off the body will twist and rotate keep that in mind..... You cant stop it either. And one last thing, if you get in over your head that $2500 to get them installed will become $5000 to save it later and real fast.

I was surprised to see the car off the frame also. If they cut the quarters off now the car will be like a wet noodle.

·
SEENYOR MEMBER
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was surprised to see the car off the frame also. If they cut the quarters off now the car will be like a wet noodle.

I do know better than to cut the 1/4's off with it off the frame;)

We are doing the frame now, cleaning and painting. We will set the body back on before we do it. Or whoever does it.

·
Registered
21,079 Posts
A am helping a buddy realize his dream street car. We are doing it at my house.

Body and floorpans are good, but it needs rear 1/4's. We have the Dyna Corn panels but havent a CLUE where to start. Estimates to install them are around $2500. We cant even get anyone that knows over to my house with a sharpie marker to mark where and where not to cut.

I know the power of da Bullet can help a brutha out.

A few pics of said Chevelle
Have you spoken with Goodmark in Georgia? That would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

X2 On the chevelle forums.They are very informative there.Too bad you are not on L.I I would of did them for a great YB price. Are they full or 1/2 panels.If they are full your gonna have to melt out the factory solder/lead.Like it was stated that body needs to go back on the frame.Whatever you do don't clip them both at the same time.Do one at a time.If you want you can PM me your number I will answer whatever questions you have .I have done my share of quarter hanging.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts