Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
On the roller...
15,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I posted up some photos and details here about the test cell I have... (http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89452)

I've been improving the cell a bit more. Went over to a projector, inspired by the way Lamborghini dynos their cars at the factory...

I've wanted to do something like this for a while. Yesterday we tested it out. I still have to clean up some of the wires and move the stack to the new cabinet...

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. In addition to the soundproof cell and the 12 exchanges per minute air exchange rate within the cell, I've now got something a little different going...

I copied the idea from this: :D

·
On the roller...
15,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also got a few photos of Dan Smith's Outlaw 10.5 car on the dyno recently... His car looks amazing if you haven't seen it before...

·
On the roller...
15,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bet it gets loud as hell in that room. Very cool set up!
It's actually very neat technology. The walls/ceiling are 4" thick and the inside is the perforated steel. Behind that there is a special interwoven acoustic insulation that totally deadens the sound. If you stand in the corner and talk to yourself, the sound of your voice is so muffled that most people complain that it makes their ears pop and do funny things. Outside the cell you hear very little. You can carry on a phone conversation at my desk on the other side of the windows while the Outlaw car is blasting exhaust toward the wall less than 10 feet away.

The air exchange rate is 12x per minute in the cell and the air is drawn in through the front holes in the ceiling and prior to that through a special sound-reducing plenum and ducting to a roll-up door out back. The exhaust is pulled/pushed out with a 48" fan running on a 10hp 480v motor. It then goes through silencers that are about 5 feet long. If someone talks from one end of the silencer to someone on the opposite side, five feet away, the other person can not hear what they say unless they shout. It's very strange considering you can look straight through it.

The guys that designed the cell for me were from Soundmaster Test cells. It wasn't cheap, but I can dyno big block blower cars at 2am and nobody outside the building can hear it to complain. We also don't have to worry about excess heat or exhaust fumes due to the exchange rate. Typically we can get some amazing conditions from the airflow alone.

·
On the roller...
15,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Embalmer
1,335 Posts
Dyno is top notch... We had a good time even with our issues.. And it was nice to run the car not and not get killed by the fumes. And the walls are crazy talk into the corner and you can barley hear yourself ... My Dad actually stood inside the cell when we ran the Outlaw car and he said it was quieter than running it outside....

Anyone looking for Dyno time and or tuning stuff Matt is your guy.. I'm gonna be taking my convertible down there soon too and get a little work done also. My goal is to hold both ends of the dyno records there... I have one end lol... time to be the lowest rwhp car also.. 4.6 2v...

Thanks MATT HILL MOTORSPORTS

Dan Smith Jr

·
Registered
525 Posts
That's a really trick setup right there. It is crazy how much a regular concrete wall can seem to amplify things like a typical dyno room. So to do the opposite is a wonderful thing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts