1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 468 bbc dart pro1 heads with crane shaft rockers,
keeps eating the rocker end of the pushrod and the cup of
the rocker, 727 lift cam nothing to big, geometry seems correct
and i have been babysitting the lash any suggestions?

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
Maybe get a hold of Terry Manton, and run it by him.......(he's on here too)

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you have already checked the usual things like coil bind are guide/retainer interference, it might be as simple as not getting enough oil flow. If it's a solid roller cam, you can remove the lifters and cut a small flat from the oil hole to the open oil area of the lifter. This will allow oil to flow to the pushrod without being metered by the lifter moving up and down in the bore.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Maybe an oiling problem you may have increase flow up top. Might have to modify lifters for more flow. Pull a valve cover then fire it up and check how much oil your actually getting to the rockers

·
Registered
7,854 Posts

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
When this happens often all you need to do is to nick the side of the lifter body with a grinder to ensure good oil supply to the valve gear, this is common with high lift cams.

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
Maybe an oiling problem you may have increase flow up top. Might have to modify lifters for more flow. Pull a valve cover then fire it up and check how much oil your actually getting to the rockers
Yep what he said...got a phone call while I was typing..ohh well now you heard it twice.

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
I would also take a look at the angle at which the pushrod tip meets the rocker arm cup.

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
(I still say, get SME opinion from Mr. Manton)

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I had that same problem with only one.found a weak spring on that valve.check it out

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks, for the suggestions, heads are brand new, new valve springs, oiling makes sense i will check that, i was wondering to if maybe i have some bad lifters?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just had the same issue with my SBC with .850 lift on intake and .835 on exhasut. I just started it for the first time and checked timing then pulled the valve cover and the number 5 intake pushrod was superheated blue and it ate the tip of the pushrod. Some of the other tips have some galling on them and look like they were getting hot. So I pulled the other valve cover and the #6 intake was not nearly as bad but did have some heat marks on the shaft of the pushrod. I then pulled the distributor and primed the engine again and was not getting oil out either of the the pushrods mentioned while all the others were flowing (although slowly). The rockers are jesel with used cups......pushrods are brand new mantons.....lifters are used std sized offset crowers. I am very confused about this as I had 60-70psi the whole time. A friend said possibly may be a spun cam bearing??? But I would think I would lose a lot of oil pressure and there would be more than just two rockers not getting oil. Any ideas or suggestions of what to check to avoid taking out the whole motor would be very appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts