Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I got my car up and going for the first time this year and went out to make a couple hits and I pushed water. I'm not sure if I took out a gasket or just burped my cooling system. I also just put on a set of LS9 head gaskets the other day so it wasn't a situation of something hidden from last season.

Basic run down its a rod and piston 5.3 right around 9.5 to 1 245/249 duration, .637 lift 116lsa. So you can see my static and dynamic compression isn't crazy.
PT91.5mm with a 1.00ar
Blow thru E85 setup.

So last night I launched off the brake with no boost and just let it build to shake it down and see where it's at. My gate spring is 10lbs and verified that with the MSD log. Fueling look good from what I saw, my voltage went low so the gauge stopped displaying but looked to be mid 11.5-11.6 under boost after 5 psi. I short shifted first at 7200 and short shifted 2nd around 6500. Once I shifted 2nd into high my cooling system pressurized out of the cap. Timing at 10 psi was roughly 20-21 degrees. Last year with twins and race fuel I was around 17-18 degrees at 10 psi. Once again I am on E85 so I don't believe I've got aggressive timing in it. No sounds of detonation on the hit nor anything I saw in the log. It actually looked pretty good on the log.

Now the reason why I'm not sure if I lifted a head or just burped it is because, I run a dual radiator setup with a remote mount pump and an expansion tank. It's a pain to fill and it's a closed system. I had the expansion tank near full. So I'm wondering if I'm just dealing with the water expanding with heat and just pressurized the cap. I also checked the oil it looks good, not seeing anything showing water on the plugs, or anything with coolant temps. Log said the motor as at 185 on the transbrake and 186 when I let out of it. Which is another reason I don't think I was putting a lot of heat in the motor. I just checked TDC this morning before work later today when I get home I'm putting a timing light to re verify timing.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
" I had the expansion tank near full. "

That might have been the problem. Check the coolant level in the radiator and try it again with the expansion tank at a lower level. It should find the range it wants to run at. If it continues to push water everytime you run it hard that will be a bad sign. Then I would do a CO2 test on the cooling system, or a leakdown to see if you have head gasket problems.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't check the radiators. I can only fill through the expansion tank. But I do believe that was the issue too. But, it's 2020 who knows at this point because nothing makes since lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Expansion tank at highest point in system? Tank should not be full but have 1-2 qts of room for expansion. Did cooling system pressure spike or gradual rise?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is the highest point in the system. I’m assuming a gradual rise. It was pretty hot when it happened as I was out cruising in town trying to get it dialed in. I don’t have a way to monitor coolant pressure since I’m only on a msd 6014. Now I have went out and made a couple hits today and at 19 psi I didn’t have any issues or water loss so I believe it was just too full

1 - 5 of 5 Posts