Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do purge nitrous threw my engine its just part of my routine. I purge to the atmospere get to around 975 psi hit the bang button 2-3 times purge down to 950 then stage. The other weekend a racer I know was telling me he stopped purging threw his engine and thats when he stopped hurting pistons. Im only on a .030 jet and he sprays alot more than me, is there something to this? should I stop purging threw the engine? Anyone elnse have results like this guy? I havent hurt anything on my engine yet and dont want to if I can avoid it, just wanting some of everyones input. thanks mike.

·
"Made" Member
2,860 Posts
Ive read its very hard on connecting rods....

I do purge nitrous threw my engine its just part of my routine. I purge to the atmospere get to around 975 psi hit the bang button 2-3 times purge down to 950 then stage. The other weekend a racer I know was telling me he stopped purging threw his engine and thats when he stopped hurting pistons. Im only on a .030 jet and he sprays alot more than me, is there something to this? should I stop purging threw the engine? Anyone elnse have results like this guy? I havent hurt anything on my engine yet and dont want to if I can avoid it, just wanting some of everyones input. thanks mike.

·
2013 KING OF THE STREET
1,706 Posts
seen a man split a block once but it was stock..

·
T/S 368E
33,405 Posts

We have had this thread several times.
I also stopped because of a few mishap's, blow up's, I saw, never had myself.
Then again, there are many many guys that have done thousands & thousands of pass' with zero issues.
I'm just a coward, and cheap skate, those big boom boom's made me stop.
Plus there was just a video recently on one of the forums where the guy burned to the ground this season.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just wondering if anyone has found that they were burning up pistons because if this? His theory was sence he didnt have a bleed on the the fuel system it was pegging his fuel pressure gauge untill the system was activated and when you bang it threw the motor it was dumping alot more fuel each time you banged it then if the system was activated and stayed on like when you were on a pass. meaning it was just loading up with fuel each timed he banged the motor. Next time I go out im going to do some back to back testing just to see might steer away from doing it.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I've been using the Bang Button for 3 yrs now. Never hurt anything doing it. I do use a window switch so the RPMs have to be over 2500 or under 8000 for the system to work. I only run a small 175/200 plate but no problems with that. We do a good job with bottle pressure and I don't purge to atmosphere very often at all. I spray in high gear so why tell the competition you plan to spray it? My fuel pressure was creeping and Fulton told me that wasn't a big deal but I installed a small jetted return line off the regulator and it don't creep at all now so the pressure stays where I set it.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts

We have had this thread several times.
I also stopped because of a few mishap's, blow up's, I saw, never had myself.
Then again, there are many many guys that have done thousands & thousands of pass' with zero issues.
I'm just a coward, and cheap skate, those big boom boom's made me stop.
Plus there was just a video recently on one of the forums where the guy burned to the ground this season.

im with u on this one!!!!!!!!! why take any chances, unless you think the risk is worth the little gain by theory of it helps ring seal?... i havent and had zero nitrous/engine problems... <---I LIKE THIS

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've been using the Bang Button for 3 yrs now. Never hurt anything doing it. I do use a window switch so the RPMs have to be over 2500 or under 8000 for the system to work. I only run a small 175/200 plate but no problems with that. We do a good job with bottle pressure and I don't purge to atmosphere very often at all. I spray in high gear so why tell the competition you plan to spray it? My fuel pressure was creeping and Fulton told me that wasn't a big deal but I installed a small jetted return line off the regulator and it don't creep at all now so the pressure stays where I set it.
When you say you installed a small jetted return line off the regulator could you elaborate on that a bit. I used to run a Magnafuel 300 pump on my cutlass and with a big holley regulator it would push right past and caused me some issues till I drilled the bypass out larger like the guys at Magnafuel told me. If I have the same problem on my new car I kind of like how your method sounds.

·
T/S 368E
33,405 Posts

I also run a air bleed set up that I built myself.
With the big Holley 525 pump I could not control the creep, and could not get off the line.
I copied a magna kit I saw on another car, I did end up with a 32 jet because it was still creeping with the one my buddy was using.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I installed a #3 line off the bottom of the NOS Holley reg and hooked it to my return line to the fuel cell. I put a threaded plug in the AN fitting then drilled a .020 hole in it to restrict the flow. That allowed me to set the reg at 5.5 or whatever and it never creeps up or falls off.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
See no problem with motor purging. Bang it 1 time. BUT I keep the Ingition switch close at hand in the event the motor purge button hangs "open"...I've seen it happen before.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
We've never purged through the engine...just don't see a need or performace advantage to it. Also I've tried bleeds & no bleeds...saw better overall performance without and less pressure drop as each kit came in.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Who wired your "wifes" LOL car Mike?.....I'm guessing it has 4 bang buttons.

I've "banged" every nitrous engine that I've ever had and NO problems.I hit each button just a little twice and I do it @ about 1400 rpms(idle).Has always worked good for me.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
I wired the car using Speedwire stuff...no bang buttons but we are switching over to Gil's new small car wiring controller after SCSN and going to put in a new overhead panel that will have bang buttons, so it will be an option I guess. So she can use them if she wants. :yawinkle:

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
I see no purpose in "banging" a nitrous motor. I have had people tell me, they are "checking" the systems, to make sure they work............well, what are you gonna do at that point if they don't work.

Also hear the "it gets the air out" or "makes it hit harder" arguments. Personally, I have found neither to be true, or make a difference, if the system is plumbed correctly.

There are many that do it, just because they think it sounds cool. I would rather just roll up there, purge it and haul ass, without all the theatrics. To each their own.

Monte

·
TRZ Rocks!
3,737 Posts
I would rather just roll up there, purge it and haul ass, without all the theatrics.
:smt023

Motor purging did absolutly nothing, didn't help or hurt, everytime we have done back to back tests.

but racers are nothing if not creatures of habit, if it works for you so be it.

·
I kill parts
10,483 Posts
as of yet, I don't have an atmosphere purge..... - At the beginning of a race day, I crack the line loose @ the distribution Y, crack the bottle valve open, and then snug the line back up.

I don't over pressure the bottles before rolling up to the line, thus no need for the big smoke show & waste of giggle juice. Burn-out, bring the motor up to 3k, bang it 2-3x, stage and go. - Have yet to hurt a piston with a .119 pill in the plate and just SRP pistons.

·
T/S 368E
33,405 Posts

Sounds like if there is no noticeable gain, it's all for show in my book.
If the guy just has to do it for whatever reason, he will keep doing it.
As for turning the bottle on and cracking the fitting, after seeing some of the youtube videos of guys blowing up on start up,
I will never, ever run without the safety valve.
My T/S car already has them for each bottle, but my other cars will not come out until they do.
For such a cheap part, it sounds like a no brainer to me??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts