Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Looking to do a Big block MOPAR on pump gas, anybody do one over 800 horse?
I'm somewhere in the 600-650 range with a small block 427, 11.3:1. I'm sure with a stroked big block and between 11.5-12:1 you can easily get there.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have built a few Big Block Mopars through out the years... Im currently running a 557" Mopar on Alky. 800 Hp with pump gas isnt going to be cheap. The motor will need to be a stroker, with the price of stroker kits now days, its a no-brainer. I Liked the 4.15 stroke engines. Is this going to be a tall deck RB or Low Deck. The heads will be the determining factor in HP. And stock heads, or even Edelbrock RPM's will Not get the job done. If I was going to build 800 hp, it would need a set of well prep'd heads, such as the B1 Orignals, or a set of CNC'd Indy 440-1 minimal. It would be all roller, And would need to be able to RPM reliable, so No Crane Gold Rockers here. 11-12:1 compression can be doable with the correct camshaft to premitt pump 93 gas. A set of T&D or Jesel rockers (what Im running) would be the hot ticket, those big valves, will need good light parts also. Titanium retainers, and locks. PSI springs set or Nextek would be first choice. Its easier said than done to build 800+hp pump gas enigines, while many shops can do this, I have seen these inflated Dyno jewels, run like 600hp engines at the track. I know dyno's are great toold, but the time slip does the talking. I built a pretty much mild 493 a few years ago, with some basic parts that probably wasnt 800 hp, but run well on the street, and at the track, pushing a 3400 lb car 9.80's in the 1/4. It was a flattop engine non zero decked (about .008 down) soild roller cam, cnc'd 440-1 from modern Cylinder head, about 11:1 compression, i mixed some race gas at the track, but probably could have run 93 with a little less timing and right dist curve, but never chanced it. 8896 dominator yada, yada, yada... Went 114 mph in the 8th with 4.88 gears, and a Turbo action 9" converter.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
ive ran a few mopar engines 10 years ago.i would stay away from b1 heads they work for some and some have valvetrain problems.i had good luck with indy heads 440-1s are very good when ported.kenny lazari at indy is a very good mopar engine builder.and if you want to talk to a mopar engine builder joe that owns tranzact of indy is a hard mopar guy and builds mopar engines and trannys.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
800 HP N/A wont be easy on any Pump Gas motors. Lets face it at 800 HP and a 500 cubic inch motor its still 1.6 plus HP per cube. It can be done, in the pump gas world cubic inches rule the day, you can get by with 12 to 1 comp if you have a big cam to bleed air, and dont lug it going down the road. EFI make it a lot easier, just like any motor a well thought out combo will be the key, you can drive on pump gas and switch to race fuel, because you will need it to race on when the motor is under a load running all out, plus there is power in the fuel its self, and consistancy of the tune because pump gas is not the same mix at any two pumps.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
i would do somthing like a 572 on a world block 11.2 comp with a cam in the mid 700s and 440-1 heads fully ported by someone real good with those heads.with a single 1150 should make around 800 i would think.there is a post on here from a while ago sombody made some killer mopar hp with predetor heads and low compression.ray barton is also a top mopar builder and builds wedges and mostly hemis

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my 69 dart, S.S springs,727wbrake, 430's in a 8 3/4, drag radials

I have now, a 498,1150 dominator,, Indy 440-1 heads, Indy Intake, TD rollers, a custom grind comp roller700+, problem is I been doing the street cruises like crazy and this combo is 14-1. dynoed at 790 hp.
I was looking at spending cash on a Indy 605 short block and sending my heads to them to cnc to345's. whole thing should be just around 10 grand which is not bad

from Indyheads.com
short block
440-S7-605W 605" Street Wedge MP siamese mega block(4.500” bore) (CNC lightened, bored, decked and stroke clearanced)Callies 4340 steel crank(4.75” x 2.200”) Eagle 3D H-Beam rods(7.100” x .990” pin) Wiseco flat top pistons, Rings, rod and main bearings, balanced. Flat top piston: 10.75 to 1 w/ 75cc $7700
cnc heads
440-1 CNC-345 Wedge Big Block 500” - 540” Recommended 4.375” bore. Drag race application. Roller cam combinations preferred. Works well with 12.5 to 1 compression and up. Perfect head for pro street supercharger applications. 900 HP potential. 2.25 x 1.81 valve size. $1500

figure another $1200 assemble and dyno locally , 700 for the right cam +lifter set
Tim

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
sounds good.i would shoot for a little more compression though and run a mix of pump gas/race fuel on the street and make more hp and the motor will probably be more crisp big motors with that low compression seem to be lazy.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
sounds good do you know what cc chamber your heads are?a extra point or point and a half compression will be pretty big if the heads are there anyway for port work im sure they can mill them a little for not much and get you right around 12.1.with indy you shouldnt have trouble that doesnt seem like a bad price being mopars cost so much.this motor is going to be n/a only?.did you ever call [email protected] he is a indy dealer and will probably do the same build for less money with a couple extras thrown in like getting you the exact compression you want and its a small shop where the guy your dealing with is the same guy building the motor.probably would take a little longer though.even though i have a chevy now im still a mopar guy i had a tube chassis 69 charger with a 528 indy head motor joe built went 8.56 n/a single carb but the car was real light like 2650 with me in it.sean

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have been running the Indy stuff for years, They make good power, but I promise the B1 stuff has more potential, for about the same money. I would pick up the phone and Call Best Machine In Mi, and ask for Chuck, these guys know Mopar, and have the Mahines, and experiance to make power...these guys race every weekend too. IMO its hard enough to make 900-950+ HP in a all out Motor using 440-1's, some people may disagree, but this is a fact. Using the B1 stuff like the B1MC's or PSO's or Predetor heads it will be so easy a Cave man can do it! My current enigne here makes 850-900hp, which is a 4.44 x 4.5 stroke engine with 15:1 on alky...I wish I had a set of B1MC's B1 orignals, it would be worth at least 50-75 more hp, then the B1 MC's another 100hp on top of that, the PSO's you would half to do somthing really wrong not to make 1000+HP on pump gas..this topend setup can be had$$!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts