Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turbo or procharger and why? What is more effective in a 90% street setup? Drag week type deal.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Procharger runs cooler. That is unless you have rear mounted turbo's under the trunk. Both allow a mild set up with power under boost. Large turbos under the hood just can't be kept cool like smaller OEM turbos. Only draw back (or advantage) with Prochargers is the noise......
Rear mounted turbos won't happen. It would be front. I don't mind the noise. I think it's an advantage. But which would be easier on a pump gas setup? I know Steve Morris does alot with prochared pump gas motors, but I was wondering why? Is there an advantage they have over turbos when running pump gas?

·
Registered
450 Posts
you going to run carb or fuel injected?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you going to run carb or fuel injected?
Not sure, I was always planning on running blowthrough, but I see a bunch of good deals on fuel injected stuff, I always thought it was way out of my price range. What would you suggest? Blow thru, but efi if I can afford it? That's what I was always told

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
They both will work well whatever you decide to pick. I personally like that Prochargers are self contained and dont draw oil from the engine for lubrication. I also like the throttle response that you get with a supercharger as opposed to a turbo. If you are looking to make the most power possible a turbo has the advantage . But Prochargers will still make plenty of power and cost less by the time you figure in fabrication and headers etc.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They both will work well whatever you decide to pick. I personally like that Prochargers are self contained and dont draw oil from the engine for lubrication. I also like the throttle response that you get with a supercharger as opposed to a turbo. If you are looking to make the most power possible a turbo has the advantage . But Prochargers will still make plenty of power and cost less by the time you figure in fabrication and headers etc.
That's the thing, I'm not trying to set any records or be the fastest. Just for my own enjoyment. Plumbing is a nightmare on a turbo setup from what I see, but with turbos, couldn't it be cheaper with more budget oriented turbos than an expensive procharger or vortech deal? Or am I missing something. I'm talking used prices also, not buying from a dealer. What is the price difference for a 1500~hp setup?

I hope steve chimes in here, what is his reasoning behind running procharger on his pump gas motors versus turbos?

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Steve does more Procharged engines because that is his niche in the market . He can build a wicked turbo engine also . If you are buying used I would surely lean towards a Procharged engine as all the supechargers have serial #s on them and you can know the history of repair and such when you buy it . A turbo you are rolling the dice on wether it is ok or seeping oil etc . But if you are going used and price is an issue buy whatever will fit your budget but buyer beware . Making 1500 hp on pump fuel is not a cheap build either direction so just be prepared that you will end up with alot of money in this engine .

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve does more Procharged engines because that is his niche in the market . He can build a wicked turbo engine also . If you are buying used I would surely lean towards a Procharged engine as all the supechargers have serial #s on them and you can know the history of repair and such when you buy it . A turbo you are rolling the dice on wether it is ok or seeping oil etc . But if you are going used and price is an issue buy whatever will fit your budget but buyer beware . Making 1500 hp on pump fuel is not a cheap build either direction so just be prepared that you will end up with alot of money in this engine .
I'm not going cheap on the build, by used, I mean new or barely used from an individual for a lesser price, just not from a vendor. I see no sense in Buying something from a vendor when you can get the exact item from an individual for half price. I understand it's going to cost a pretty penny to accomplish my goal. I just think I can do it alot cheaper than most would think. Just like I built my last motor for ALOT less than anyone imagined I had in it.

What did Steve build you?

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I were u I would really consider efi I went the blow thru route and ended up spending a ton now I am going efi. The kind of hp u are talking and street driven it would be a high priority. There has to be a great piece of mind with all the functions of today's efi systems. I plan on running holleys system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts