Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a stock block 302 for a street car, What is a good combo as far as cubic inch, Cylinder head, Compression, Etc. ? What kind of power can be made?

I was thinking, 10 to 1, AFR 185 heads. Can you put to big of a head on a small inch SBF?

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's a very vague question. If you give us an idea on how much power you want to make and how much money you have to spend then it will be a lot easier.

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
The AFR 185s are a pretty good head for the money.

I would prefer a set of Trick Flow twisted wedge 185s or 190s though. They're better on a smaller bore like a 302 has.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of a "budget" engine. LOL going in a 66 mustang with a toploader 4 speed. Thinking just a mild hyd. Flat tappet cam. I really don't know the power potential of a 302 based engine na on pump fuel?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Making 450- 500hp with the 185's wouldnt be hard to do, N/A.

They are a very good head for the money.

Patriot Performance Heads aren't bad for the money either.
You could buy them bare, have them cleaned up and assembled by a local shop for your application.

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
Making 450- 500hp with the 185's wouldnt be hard to do, N/A.

They are a very good head for the money.

Patriot Performance Heads aren't bad for the money either.
You could buy them bare, have them cleaned up and assembled by a local shop for your application.
^^ Some patriot heads for cheap bare, put valves/springs/locks/retainers etc. in it and you'll have a SOLID head for less than most new high end heads.

I was talking to a cam grinder and he said with the heads I have now (crappy edelbrock performers) and a new intake/his cam I could make 430hp. That's mild too...

If you spun it to 7000 with good solid heads and a nice intake along with 10-11:1 compression, 500hp is doable on a "budget" :party

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am defiantly not an expert on building engines but my dad has built several sbf combos over the years so I have a little bit of knowledge. I've always been a fan of the 331ci stroker if your going to be using a stock 302 as your start. Here's a pretty good article I always liked of a build up http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0810_302ci_small_block_ford/viewall.html. A smaller cam would even make it more streetable for your car. If your looking to go cheaper I would use the stock crank, and rods and just go .030 over with some new forged pistons to get to 306ci. A decent set of heads and a mild cam should put you around 350hp.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Yeah there are TONS of option... The new edelbrock e-tec heads are a great budget option.

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
Yeah there are TONS of option... The new edelbrock e-tec heads are a great budget option.
You've heard about their valve springs issues though, right? Weak as fuck from the factory...I heard some edelbrock tech guy say they're really not suited for cams over .500 lift. They're an answer for the cheap chinese heads apparently.

They do flow nicely though.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Haha, I like the way people throw around 500hp easily out of a street 302 :p while its not impossible, but you need a well planned out setup.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Yeah I know, but he said "budget", and mild tappet cam.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
My motor was built on a budget and seems to work well. standard bore motor with mahle flat top 10.5:1 pistons, eagle rods, stock crank, 282xehr, edelbrock perfromer heads that have been gone over with good comp springs 987's and still pedestal mount, air gap and a 650 demon

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
go with a 347 stroker kit(under $800), AFR heads, 10-10.5:1 compression.
You won't have to turn it as hard to make power.

You can go hydraulic flat tappet and make 425hp @ 6,000, or 460hp @ 6,500
or go solid flat tappet or Hyd roller, and make 500hp @ 6,500

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
go with a 347 stroker kit(under $800), AFR heads, 10-10.5:1 compression.
You won't have to turn it as hard to make power.

You can go hydraulic flat tappet and make 425hp @ 6,000, or 460hp @ 6,500
or go solid flat tappet or Hyd roller, and make 500hp @ 6,500
What stroker kit is under 800$? I've seen some new probe rotating assemblies for like 950$ shipped, but that's the cheapest.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts