Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you use to pull timing out of an engine for the first part of the run. say at launch and till your past the 60' or so.
60' times are all over the place. wondering if i can kill some power till the car gets moving. and how much timing does it take to make a difference. 406 sbc at 36-38 degrees right now.
is there a timer or way to do it in rpm incriments.
we have a msd 7al and crank triger at the moment.
60's anywhere from 1.380 to 1.430 from run to run. very close to the exact same mph 1/8 & 1/4 run to run.
and this isnt a big hp motor. maybe 580-600.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
what do you use to pull timing out of an engine for the first part of the run. say at launch and till your past the 60' or so.
60' times are all over the place. wondering if i can kill some power till the car gets moving. and how much timing does it take to make a difference. 406 sbc at 36-38 degrees right now.
is there a timer or way to do it in rpm incriments.
we have a msd 7al and crank triger at the moment.
60's anywhere from 1.380 to 1.430 from run to run. very close to the exact same mph 1/8 & 1/4 run to run.
and this isnt a big hp motor. maybe 580-600.
In my opinion u dont need to pull any timing with that kind of power.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You really don't want to hear this but I had a car last year that just could not repeat a 60 foot. I tried adjusting the power and changing springs struts ect ect. I sold the car and bought another and now have consistant 60's. Some cars just don't have the suspension right and mant can be fixed. I chose to change cars because the suspension just did not map out well.

·
aka hulk
4,965 Posts
what type of chassis/suspension do ya have?how old are your slicks? i also do not think you need to pull timming to get your car to 60-foot consistant,sounds like a chassis problem,just my 02.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
YOU CAN DO IT WITH MSD 8979, it can be used with the box you have. It allows for programable timing curves

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ladder bar/coil overs with front coil over camaro (86) type struts. it does 60' somewhat closer with a travel limiter set up tight. no upward travel from ride height. but i put a lighter assembly spindle and rotor combo on it so now it just pulls the wheels higher anyway. and back to worser 60' ft times. 14-32's assend doesnt do anything on take off. frontend twists and comes up.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
You have chassis issues fix those first, with what you have you would pull timing on the big end to start you need all you can get

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I agree with some of the others. With your power, if you pulled timing at launch you would just be masking a chassis/suspension problem and slowing your car down unnecessarily.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I was in your shoes once. A very smart tuner told me dont take the power out, your problem is you dont have enough power. I installed a N20 system to test his advice and whalla house of hook.

You may want to seek an expert sometimes it will save you money and you can learn from it all.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
at what power or ET, 60' we usually start to need to pull timing.
Last weekend 1.21 on foot brake and could not 60 on t/b 1.24 with to much wheel speed. this is with full timing !

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
That's a good tire but are the sidewalls shot? Your going to want to run tubes in those tires also.

I see guys running upper 700HP pulling timing at the hit on radials.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I do have one & goes straight 1.21 on foot brake it is on t/b it spins either suspention or remove power i gess?? when or at what 60`we start to need to remove timing ? or maybe depends on the track also !

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
In my opinion u dont need to pull any timing with that kind of power.
X3 my old sb made 830 and I was leaving at 8300 never pulled timing.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
At the YB race I went 1.170 60' pulling ZERO timing and went 7.99 @ 169+. My car crossed the scales at 2965 on a 3062s tire. Ladder bar car. Its all about the shocks, chassis set up and gearing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
john you know the answer ..its far easier to over tire it or pull timing out then it is to get it right .
how many times have pulling timing made it run up the ring gear or get loose on small tire cars ???? when all it wanted was more power or a chassis change.
wait till he gets to that power to tire to weight ratio!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts