Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend's 347 SBF is pulling oil into the headers thru the evac system. Has baffles in the valve covers under the breathers. The breathers are chrome mopar style with the 5/8 hose on them, probably Mr. Gasket breathers. Engine is tight and doesn't have a backpressure problem. Anyone ever seen this?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Friend's 347 SBF is pulling oil into the headers thru the evac system. Has baffles in the valve covers under the breathers. The breathers are chrome mopar style with the 5/8 hose on them, probably Mr. Gasket breathers. Engine is tight and doesn't have a backpressure problem. Anyone ever seen this?
if your running mufflers ya ive seen that my car will do it running on the street with the dumps closed but open the dumps & it stops doing it must be a back presser issue in the exhaust if its running open hedders i dont know

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
how much oil you talking..Its normal for a little oil specially if your getting alot of oil up top.. that whats the filter in the breathers are for

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,413 Posts
Did you take the foam and stainless brillo pad out of the breather? That filter will hold oil and eventually lead to too much oil in the exhaust and poor evacuation.

I have also had to smear sillicone around the seam where the breather is crimped together, you'll see the seam if you hold the breather upside down and look at it.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car does have exhaust with an H pipe and mufflers. Breathers still have the foam or whatever came in them when new. Housings are tight. This setup with exhaust must really pull vacum at the top end as that's when you see the smoke from the exhaust. It will pull oil up on top of the baffles and out the breathers. I was thinking it needed a thicker element in the breather or possibly a restrictor in it. I guess a more complicated option would be a puke tank inline.
My car has the same setup but doesn't pull oil, but I don't have any exhaust after the header collector.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Backpressure causes an evac system to pull less. It is exactly that, pressure in the exhaust. Have you ever considered that its blowing oil out because of excessive crankcase pressure? Just because it has a header evac system, it doesn't mean that its working.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Pan evacuation systems must use an oil seperator so that oil is not pulled into the headers. For example, Moroso pan evac systems use a Chrysler-style oil seperator on the valve covers. They do look like breathers, but there is a difference.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is either a Moroso or Mr. Gasket header evac kit with the Mopar style breathers/seperators.

Next time out I'll run the 2 hoses from the breathers into a catch tank and see if it's excessive blowby/crankcase pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Make sure the one way valves on the collectors are both good. I had a friend running the same set up and one of those valves went bad so one side was sucking and the other was pushing. It was like 007 smoke screen!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
ya sounds like you have the same kit i have in the instructions it said do not use with mufflers i have a friend who had the same issue but i did it anyway i dont run the car on the street much with the dumps closed the exhuast is open for the track & it dont do it then but the mufflers are your problem mabee give duramax's post a try that might solve your problem

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Breathers are at the frt. Mufflers are all the way back at the axle. Looks like it may be electric vacum pump time.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Pull each tube off at the covers and make sure that it is sucking on the tube and not blowin on them. I also run mufflers but they are 4in bullets and evac is in header collector.
Also while tubes are off lightly blow in tube and see how hard it is to open the check valve(should feel almost free flow a light puff)If it takes more than that or you feel it pop open. Take the check valve off and tap in the center of the reed valve with a punch and hammer and continue checking how it flows till it take little effort to make it open. Also suck back on it to make sure it is closing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts