Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. I'm looking at a 53' living quarters gooseneck trailer but wondering if it's too big. I'll be pulling it with a 09 Dodge Cummins dually. Just wondering your guys experience pulling a trailer that big. Pros and cons. I've been pulling a 32 tag for years and feel pretty comfortable with it, I still think it's big.
It's a great deal on the trailer and hard to pass up but just don't want to have something that's to hard to use and I do t want to beat my truck to death.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A buddy and myself haul two dragsters in a 48' goose, using an '08 Dodge dually. Easy towing, truck handles it easily. Best thing to add to the truck is airbags w/ auto leveling. Keep the brakes on the trailer adjusted and you're fine.............

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Shit for a second there I thought the ops scree name was Gary. That's a scary thought.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I pull a 44' gooseneck with a GMC 2500 HD, and would pick this any day over a big tag trailer. Gooseneck's pull like they're not even behind you, and when you consider some of the length difference is in the tongue and what will be over the box of the truck, the overall length won't be much different. Just watch the clearance between the front of the trailer and the back of the cab- seen a few windows broken when turning sharp without a sliding 5th wheel. And X2 on the airbags on the truck to handle the weight.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I pull my 46' enclosed with my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. It really is no big deal...just takes a bit to get used to the length. Now I can just look at a corner or driveway and tell if I can make it. It seems to me steep driveways (or roadway transitions) are the biggest concern in my operation...I hate dragging the corners of the trailer on the pavement (especially when the wheels are off the ground). Oh, and airbags are a must in my opinion!

May want to look into licensing for that rig... In Texas you will get "red tagged" with a lengthy list of citations (including a court date) if you do not have a Class A CDL! I would use a Dually with my trailer if I could legally, but the Department of Public SAFETY forces me to go the more DANGEROUS route, Lol.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I pulled a very heady LQ 53' trailer for 2 years before I bought a motorhome.. 99" Ford F350 with air bags,, ran right down the Interstate no problems at any speed limit .. like mentioned good trailer brakes, and wide turns and you'll be fine…….

·
Keepn my pimp hand strong
6,768 Posts
I think he asked about a 53 not what you idiots think of pulling smaller trailers. MORONS.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of the other concerns would how difficult is it to pull into some of these tight pit spots at some of these tracks. How much easier is it maneuvering a 48 compared to a 53?
Wouldn't think theres much difference.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My buddy pulls a 53' LQ Gooseneck with a '07.5 Mega Cab Dually. Had to use the offset hitch but it amazed me first time I rode in it. Pulls as good or maybe better than the 24' tag it replaced. Just have to plan fuel stops at truck stops and your golden.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,649 Posts
THEYRE MADE TO BE PULLED....HOOK UP....AND GO

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,649 Posts
YOURE NOW SUBJECT TO ALL THE FACILITIES..THAT COMMERCIAL TRUCKS USE....IE..FUEL STOP AND EATING JOINTS.....NO MORE MCDONALD DRIVE THROUGH

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YOURE NOW SUBJECT TO ALL THE FACILITIES..THAT COMMERCIAL TRUCKS USE....IE..FUEL STOP AND EATING JOINTS.....NO MORE MCDONALD DRIVE THROUGH
Most of our trips are short. Max driving is a couple hours.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Also weight stations too I think. DOT guys eyeing you up a lil more also.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Most of our trips are short. Max driving is a couple hours.
I've had two 48' goosenecks and they're a long SOB to manuever in most places..........a 53 would only be worse.

Think about EVERYWHERE you go and determine if a semi will fit because that is how long you'll be.

They tow like a dream on the big road........Certain areas good luck though
Fuel stops have to be planned and a big tank in the bed is recommended...........it sucks when you're on E and the unit is 70' long and won't fit the regular gas station you're staring at

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,649 Posts
Also weight stations too I think. DOT guys eyeing you up a lil more also.
I DRIVE RIGHT POST THEM....ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES.....EVEN IN SOUTH DAKOTA WHO HAS A 8K LIMIT...LOL...FUCK EM

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,649 Posts
I JUST HAULED A 44'....FROM GA...TO WASHINGTON STATE

·
rodent aviator
7,046 Posts
I think I remember reading something last year about racers heading to CA with their long trailers and getting flagged by DOT for being over length. They were forced to park the rigs and have them towed out of the state on lowboy flat beds. Not sure what the numbers were but I'd be damn sure the truck and trailer rig are 50 state legal before buying it.

And yes, anyone hauling something like this without a Class A license is illegal. Trailer over 10K and total rig weight over 26K.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,649 Posts
I think I remember reading something last year about racers heading to CA with their long trailers and getting flagged by DOT for being over length. They were forced to park the rigs and have them towed out of the state on lowboy flat beds. Not sure what the numbers were but I'd be damn sure the truck and trailer rig are 50 state legal before buying it.

And yes, anyone hauling something like this without a Class A license is illegal. Trailer over 10K and total rig weight over 26K.
LOL ..BULLSHIT

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there any truth to "if it has a bathroom it would be considered a RV" and no CDL required?

1 - 20 of 123 Posts