Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has puked coolant out of the radiator cap on high boost twice now. Its only doing it on decel and not in boost. The exhaust housing sits fairly close to the fill neck so I know immediately when coolant hits it. If the headgasket(s) were hurt what would cause it on decel? There's no coolant coming out the exhaust either. My car leaned out at the track a couple months ago and melted the strap on #6 plug. My only guess is it could have torched the head gasket when it happened. I've also thought the housing could be getting hot enough at the fill neck to possibly be the issue. Im just not sure how much hotter the housing is getting

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do you have any kind of overflow? When my HG blew I could drive the car fine(did for 2 months, over 1500 miles), but as soon as I got into boost it would puke coolant. With no overflow I could see the extra heat causing thermal expansion and forcing coolant out

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any kind of overflow? When my HG blew I could drive the car fine(did for 2 months, over 1500 miles), but as soon as I got into boost it would puke coolant. With no overflow I could see the extra heat causing thermal expansion and forcing coolant out
yes I have an overflow and just a little went in. I was just under the assumption that if you lift the heads it will happen in boost and not on decel. I can turn the car down about 4-5lbs and its still making 900-950 rwhp and its not puking any coolant out the radiator cap.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Take it to a smog station and have them sniff the coolant with the smog machine. It will instantly tell you if you have exhaust in the coolant. I do this all the time at work looking for blown head gaskets. Get it warmed up with the system close-up then open and prob it. Just don't suck up coolant with the smog machine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take it to a smog station and have them sniff the coolant with the smog machine. It will instantly tell you if you have exhaust in the coolant. I do this all the time at work looking for blown head gaskets. Get it warmed up with the system close-up then open and prob it. Just don't suck up coolant with the smog machine.
Interesting idea. I don't think we have any smog check stations around here from checking online. Have you ever used a block tester? Looks promising I think im going to pick one up tomorrow

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I can tell you from experience that EVERY TIME that I have pulled a plug with a melted strap on an LSx motor, what I found when I pulled the heads wasn't good. I wouldn't beat on it anymore as your just running up the machine shop bill at this point.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I can tell you from experience that EVERY TIME that I have pulled a plug with a melted strap on an LSx motor, what I found when I pulled the heads wasn't good. I wouldn't beat on it anymore as your just running up the machine shop bill at this point.
what have you found? I've made a ton of hits since it leaned out at the track. At the time I had BR7EF's in the car which probably wasn't helping. I switched to B9EFS's

·
Registered
844 Posts
You don't need any fancy equipment, just sniff the coolant. It'll smell like fuel if the head gaskets are leaking

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You don't need any fancy equipment, just sniff the coolant. It'll smell like fuel if the head gaskets are leaking
The coolant just smells like coolant no e85 smell. I bought a block tester for $30 im gonna try later. Im also not running a thermostat either. I bought one to try I read not running one could hender dissapating heat it could be getting too hot.

I guess what I really want to know if you lift the heads or push coolant in anyway would it br in boost or decel? If decel how?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
You make 900-950 rwhp on 4-5 psi of boost with an 88mm turbo and a 408 inch motor?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You make 900-950 rwhp on 4-5 psi of boost with an 88mm turbo and a 408 inch motor?
No I said on high boost it was spitting coolant and I could turn it down 4-5 lbs from that it didn't seem to puke.

after further looking into it is the head gaskets

·
Registered
844 Posts
pull the heads. easy enough. you should have it done before bed time right?

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
what have you found? I've made a ton of hits since it leaned out at the track. At the time I had BR7EF's in the car which probably wasn't helping. I switched to B9EFS's
Usually a busted or lifter ringland, score cylinder or worse. From what you are describing, I'll guess broken ringland and/or torched/warped head deck unless it's puffing real hard out the breathers/evac system.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Usually a busted or lifter ringland, score cylinder or worse. From what you are describing, I'll guess broken ringland and/or torched/warped head deck unless it's puffing real hard out the breathers/evac system.
it's not puffing or using any oil really

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulled the heads off the pass side which melted the strap on the plug on #6 a few months ago. I'm no head gasket expert but I cannot find anything going on with the headgasket and the pistons look fine. Cylinders are smooth and aren't scored. Anyone see anything? Going to yank the other side off tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts