Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure whether to put this in transmission or turbo.. So here it goes.

looking for info/advice.. I am looking at a used PTC converter. I am switching to a powerglide. I just cant swing the 1500 Ive been quoted for a converter so this may be a good option for me to get on the track this season. Anyways heres the details. My ride 3500lb with driver, 500" BBM single 114mm turbo, 3.54 gears, 29" hoosier QTP.

Here the converter in question..
PTC-9.5-TH-14-0-1/4-SL

9.5" convertor, turbo spline input shaft, 14 half stator, 45 degree, 1/4" mid plate, Spragless

Any input would be appreciated..

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
How much power. With tall gear and big power the 9.5 may or may not be optimal. It may take a 10" converter to hold that combo if it's really wicked up. I have gone all the way to a 12-45* stator and mechanical diode but slip is not where I really want it. They are the best converters I've tried as far as being easy to stage and spool turbo(s). Hopefully Dusty will chime in if there is some more details available. I know he went thru the same thing with his 540 BBC/118mm combo and ended up with a 10" or 10.5" converter.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much power. With tall gear and big power the 9.5 may or may not be optimal. It may take a 10" converter to hold that combo if it's really wicked up. I have gone all the way to a 12-45* stator and mechanical diode but slip is not where I really want it. They are the best converters I've tried as far as being easy to stage and spool turbo(s). Hopefully Dusty will chime in if there is some more details available. I know he went thru the same thing with his 540 BBC/118mm combo and ended up with a 10" or 10.5" converter.
Not big power for now. Roughly 1500 rwhp.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
What rpm will you be shifting at?

A new PTC 9.5 is $1,000.

The issue you may run into is getting the car to 60'. These spool so well that a large torquey motor in a heavy car with your gear will flash high at launch. Mine wouldn't 60' faster than 1.25. More power at launch just drove the flash higher and higher without accelerating the car.

A 14x45 will still get you into the 4.70-4.90 range. If you just want to get the car out and work bugs out of it. Yours can be tightened a considerable amount so it's possible the 9.5 could be restalled down the road which would be $300.

The 10" is a good bit harder to spool and is a good jump from the 9.5.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I typically shift at 6800. I am also going from a 727 to a built glide. The first gear I would usually short shift (6300) cuz it would get bad tire shake at 60' out when full boost would hit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts