Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
23,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son bought a PTC 8" Converter for a Power Glide Input Shaft and a Brand new Rebuilt TCI Power glide with Power glide Input shaft. We get it all together and in the car and nothing works. The pump is pumping fine but no forward or reverse gears. I tell my son it's probably a Turbo Converter. We pull everything out and sure enough PTC sent us a turbo Converter instead of the Power glide converter. When my son questions them about it they act as if they knew they sent a Turbo Converter and just wanted him to purchase a Turbo Input shaft, so he does. They tell me to stand the Glide up on end and remove the old input shaft and install the new one. I've rebuilt my own tyrannies before including glides so I know about the ring. I do this and it seemingly goes in all the way. When I turn the output shaft the input shaft turns. So we put the converter back in the transmission 1,2,3 clicks and reinstall the tyranny and now the converter has no play free play. It is not locked up. It just doesn't have any free play between the pump and converter.
I found a pic on line of exactly how this input shaft is. I did measure it before we stuck it in and from the end of the stator to the end of the input shaft was just over 1.5 inches. This picture is exactly how it looks although this is not my sons tyranny. In this case the input shaft was all the way in for this guy and it worked fine. What do you guys think? I'm mad at this point I have steam coming out my ears. A brand new rebuilt transmission and am I'm going to have to open it up to look at the, marriage ring?

·
23,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a 1/4" I think it is TCI midplate. I knew I would leave something out.

Ford engine with TCI Midplate.

The Convertor Pilot Flange is like (I'm Guessing) 1/2 inch or or more inside the powerglide bell.

·
Super Moderator
19,644 Posts
So with the old input shaft , the converter had some play between the converter and flexplate? The pic shown looks good as far as having the input shaft installed properly.

Hutch

·
23,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So with the old input shaft , the converter had some play between the converter and flexplate? The pic shown looks good as far as having the input shaft installed properly.

Hutch
Yes Hutch, It actually had about 3/8 inch or so of clearance with the glide input shaft. I had to use hardened 1/4" washers to set the converter to the pump clearance with the glide input shaft. Now with the turbo shaft there is no clearance. It's not binding so that I can't move the converter, but it's not totally free and there is no clearance.
The only change is the input shaft.

·
23,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I may have solved the problem.
I was talking to my son and I remembered that when we bolted the transmission up to the mid plate this last time there was about 3/8 inch left until the converter ears hit the flex plate. Before we put the transmission in I trial installed the converter on the pilot bushing mounted on the flex plate and the converter ears were touching (or just about) the flex plate.

The converter then must be hanging up in the bushing some how right?
Damn, I hope that's all it is.

·
Super Moderator
19,644 Posts
Just do a recheck without the input shaft installed. Of you have room between the converter pads and flexplate without it , then the shaft may have a short spline or the shaft is too long and is bottoming out inside the converter. At least you will know the depth to the pump and can compensate by altering the shaft length slightly if you have to.

Hutch

·
23,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the help and sugestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts