Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input on a torrington thrust bearing set up in a SBF. Who does them? HP loss? Durability? Cost?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Pretty much every cup/busch/arca car ran them. You can get them from ford motorsports.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Looking for some input on a torrington thrust bearing set up in a SBF. Who does them? HP loss? Durability? Cost?
Thanks
you talking about crankshaft or camshaft?

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
on a nitrousengine, just cant see it be worth it, especially considering how much it cost.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I agree Sam but I have to compare the cost to the expense repairing my cranks. My high end crank in the nitrous motor now has .025 on the back side after 20 or so passes. My smaller N/A motor will probaly just get a new crank but I put 3 in it last race season and the motor is almost sold, dont want a come back. I now have all hands on deck trying to see what is causing it in my new X275 car , these cranks are too much money to abuse

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
do you have enough converter to flywheel gap, before pulling converter to the flywheel to bolt it up. maybe your converter??

neverreally had any trouble with thrust in all my yrs. Call Dave @ MilehighCranks theyre in Denver CO. does killer work. I had a highend ($3300)LAE crank , had rods cut down from 2.100" to 2.000" for better rod to cam clearance, did very nice work.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
You have to make sure when you bolt the Trans converter to the engine the crankshaft still has thrust in it. Can't tell you how many times I have seen this and how many people do not check that.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If your converter clearance checks out you might check you don't have excessive pressure in the converter itself causing it to push forward on the crank. I wiped the thrust out on a motor from excessive pressure caused by a partially plugged cooler. Just something to check.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today we confirmed the converter clearance is fine. Actually it was slightly on the larger side. We bolted the motor and trans together on the bench with mid plate in place to check thoroughly. My next step is put the trans back in and check the D/S yoke clearance. I did go to a carbon fiber D/S and hope thats not an issue. I contacted the trans and converter supplier today and since I recently bought the stuff they want to go threw all componets. They said if the D/S was at fault they will see traces in the trans on drums/shafts/converter etc.
Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
OP, sorry, I thought you were talking cam. On the crank I can't see a benefit to running a torr bearing on thrust since you are going to take a load that is spread out and convert it to point loads on the individual rollers. They work fine on the cam because there isn't anywhere near the axial load that you'd see on a crank that apparently has probs eating thrust bearings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you check converter clearance on engine side. You have to make sure there is clearance between converter pilot and crankshaft. Also make sure there is clearance between converter and flexplate bolts.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Did you check converter clearance on engine side. You have to make sure there is clearance between converter pilot and crankshaft. Also make sure there is clearance between converter and flexplate bolts.
I use to not check this, but killed the thrust several times before finding the converter was pushing and hitting the flexplate bolts. I want at lest .200 between the converter and flexplate bolts and the pilot on the converter and the bottom of the crank!

The last billet backing plate on my converter I had installed has a screw on pilot, they sent me the one too long but I caught it before I killed another thrust bearing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts