Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
43,008 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I am on the fence on this one. I think concealed has it's advantages, but the biggest disadvantage is drawing it quick enough when it might be needed. Having it out in the open might deter the "wanna-be" criminals, but the hard core guys set on doing bad things... only gives them an idea of who to target first.

I'd probably have to vote for concealed.

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
Open carry is for attention seekers and makes them the first to go when the bullets fly......

·
Registered
811 Posts
It's a 50/50 deal. In some rare cases it's been shown that people looking to commit a crime will likely do so when there is no evidence of others with firearms. On the flip side, you really don't want to be a constant target all the time. Either for someone looking to steal your gun or ultimately take you out first. I'd much rather leave almost all of the options in my court with a conceal carry instead.

·
888 Posts
this got me thing about the pro's and con's of open carry. personally i think its more advantages to carry concealed. but i can also see the deterrent factor with open carry. what do you guys think?
What do I think?
I think I'm finally going to get to use that OWB holster for my 5" 629 and I'm stopping by Shoot Straight this week to pick up an 8" model.
:p
S.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We can open carry here with a Georgia weapons license but you do not see it as much as people would think. Some LEOs dont even know it is legal. Lots of stories on georgiapacking.com about this. I open carry at times when I feel the need so it has some advantages. When walking at night to a parked car, long walks with the wife and dog at night, riding motorcycle, etc.... I enjoy being able to decide on my own!

·
Dick for hire
17,960 Posts
There is no tactical advantage to open carrying. The only thing open carrying can do in an encounter is hurt you. Concealed carry is a better option.

with that said, it would be nice not to have to constantly walk around tugging on my shirt.

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no tactical advantage to open carrying. The only thing open carrying can do in an encounter is hurt you. Concealed carry is a better option.

with that said, it would be nice not to have to constantly walk around tugging on my shirt.
x2 my yb hoodie is bad about riding up. and it would be nice not to have to worry about some one seeing my side arm.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
IMO open carry just protects those that conceal poorly (which is a good thing). Wearing a gun on your hip for the world to see is just asking for a hassle.

I never see anyone open carry except maybe the guys at the gun shop! Most places around here have "no firearms" posted, so you wouldn't be able to do much without getting asked to leave places anyway. At least if you conceal, they don't know.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Open carry is for attention seekers and makes them the first to go when the bullets fly......
+ 1000. The only thing open carry will do for you is have the bad guy who was going to rob you face to face ...... sneak up behind you and hit you in the head with a steel pipe ..... then steal your money and your gun !! (And then maybe shoot you with it.) :smt073

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Cops are open carry, how many get robbed? Open carry is the way it should be.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Cops are open carry, how many get robbed? Open carry is the way it should be.
Hold up men don't target uniformed cops for a stick up. But they might target guys like you and I for one, as we leave that ATM machine at midnight and walk back to our car.
In one case, the bad guy sees a chance to rob me of my money and will confront me face to face.
In the other case the bad guy sees an opportunity to rob me of my money and my exposed firearm and will attack from the rear, and like I said, whack me on the head with a pipe or just shoot me in the back of the head.
Why let some evil doer know you are armed, and therefore change his plan of attack differently ?
I was a cop for 25 years on the streets of Philadelphia, and I can tell you: hardened criminals will not see an openly armed civilian as a threat. They will see that person as a target for a valuable score.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Hold up men don't target uniformed cops for a stick up. But they might target guys like you and I for one, as we leave that ATM machine at midnight and walk back to our car.
In one case, the bad guy sees a chance to rob me of my money and will confront me face to face.
In the other case the bad guy sees an opportunity to rob me of my money and my exposed firearm and will attack from the rear, and like I said, whack me on the head with a pipe or just shoot me in the back of the head.
Why let some evil doer know you are armed, and therefore change his plan of attack differently ?
I was a cop for 25 years on the streets of Philadelphia, and I can tell you: hardened criminals will not see an openly armed civilian as a threat. They will see that person as a target for a valuable score.
A guy will wack you in the head whether its concealed or not. Criminals with take the path of least resistance IMO. The weak unarmed ones will be the vast majority of targets. I am more for open carry as a constitutional right than a tactical element.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
+ 1000. The only thing open carry will do for you is have the bad guy who was going to rob you face to face ...... sneak up behind you and hit you in the head with a steel pipe ..... then steal your money and your gun !! (And then maybe shoot you with it.) :smt073
Also quoted for the truth.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I've trained myself to do this automatically. You don't have to worry about it as much as you might think though. If somebody were to see it and call the cops, as long as the cop doesn't see it personally there's not much they can do unless the caller wants to go to court and testify that they saw it. That will usually end it right there if the caller is still around when the fuzz arrives at the scene. Even if you did end up end court, if it's obvious your intent was to conceal a conviction for illegal open carry due to your clothes riding up and showing the gun a bit isn't very likely.

·
Registered
954 Posts
hardened criminals will not see an openly armed civilian as a threat. They will see that person as a target for a valuable score.

x2, I will always be concealed, unless on duty.

·
Cowboy up
1,690 Posts
I live in new jersey and I wish we were able to conceal carry here, I don't think open carry would go over too well around here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts