Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know the fuel engines are different from my experience, but seriously, If NHRA wants to slow 'em down why don't they limit injector size and blower speed? I understand that nitro is pretty close to being a monopropellant, but it still requires some atmospheric air to combust with max energy release. It seems to me that reducing available air would reduce combustion pressures enough to effect power output without running mixes so lean that parts failures would increase. Am I missing something?

·
from across the pond...
6,930 Posts
I know the fuel engines are different from my experience, but seriously, If NHRA wants to slow 'em down why don't they limit injector size and blower speed? I understand that nitro is pretty close to being a monopropellant, but it still requires some atmospheric air to combust with max energy release. It seems to me that reducing available air would reduce combustion pressures enough to effect power output without running mixes so lean that parts failures would increase. Am I missing something?
agree 100%. Less blower speed less air= less power. It's easy to create a rule change on other folks dimes..

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Go nitro nostalgia racing,,might as well.

Thanks for killing the sport NHRA, you have done a swell job,,continue on!!

·
Pontiac aficionado
2,839 Posts
I have to agree with Miller. Air controls the outcome.
Look at all the class limiting turbo inlet sizes.
Look at the nitrous classes that limit the NITROUS jet.

How dumb is NHRA.

It's about air not fuel.

It's easier to play with fuel curve with a max pump then it is to try and match the air flow to fuel volume.

·
The Medcine Man
8,149 Posts
They will just jack the voltage up to the pumps and burn em up in 2 passes so it won't be lean. But nascar has finally figured out what the fans want to see and it ain't limited either.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
They will be able to get a handle on it most teams have tuning notes going back a long time.I still remember working on a car that had a 47 gal pump. it was not that long ago 60 to 70 gpm was the norm. The nostalgia guys are running less than 20gpm and running mid 5's

·
from across the pond...
6,930 Posts
They will just jack the voltage up to the pumps and burn em up in 2 passes so it won't be lean. But nascar has finally figured out what the fans want to see and it ain't limited either.
How would they do that with a MECHANICAL pump...:-D

·
T/S 368E
30,020 Posts

Dale had a complete package of changes, that took into account each other.
That way the effect of one change wouldn't cause problems with another system.

How stupid is nhra (never mind) to keep trying all these asinine ideas that the experts
know will not work. At least this idea is not as stupid as changing engine size,
so the little guy doesn't have to start from scratch on parts.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
why does nhra always want to slow everyone down? I thought the name of the game was to go faster. Every other class gets faster and faster every year. How bout make the chassis more safe and use someone else Other than the SFI

·
YB Monster Crew
9,107 Posts
The goal is to reduce the size of the bomb,” said Wilkerson, who has been the NHRA’s primary test driver for the majority of nitro data gathering sessions.
Seriously?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
They need to put a restrictor plate between the blower and the manifold. NHRA supplies the plates and has them marked some way so everyone gets the same size and can be traced.

·
Registered
20,372 Posts

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
This has been debated for a long time, and even "The Snake" said over a year or two ago on CompPlus that taking fuel away was the easiest way to ensure they slow the cars down.

You change the blower over drive or size, and they'll just figure out how to move more air with blower efficiency. You take away fuel, and you can't burn something that's not there.

Fuel is the only way to do it... Now, how they are going to check the fuel pumps... Well that's another issue altogether.

·
PROUD AMERICAN WORKER!
7,416 Posts
why not take away some downforce... Christ, the TF blister the front rubber from so much...

·
Registered
953 Posts
It would be better for NHRA to cut % of nitro, or take more overdrive away from the super charger and lower the final compression ratio than to take away fuel pump GPM. NHRA is going to have a shit storm of burned up engines if they make the fuel pump rule. Just my opinon. Jay.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts