Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m running a promod 88mm today and I´m thinking to upgrade to GTX5518R what do you think about that? Is it any powergain or totally waste of money? Or any other advantages with it? Bad or good?

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
I would try to compare against the new Gen 2 Pro Mod from Precision too. Badass for sure!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Same turbine wheel and I doubt there is much in the compressor wheels, the Gen 2 Pro Mod on the other hand is a different animal and would be my choice if you want more power.

6BOOST

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
The garrett turbo hands down is one of the best turbos out there. The GTX5518R is really a badass piece.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have had a customer switch from a 94mm GTX Garrett to a gen2 Promod in the last few months and make DRAMATIC increases, like hundreds of hp improvement, and this isn't some moderate boost thing, we are talking 2000hp, 60+psi, maximum effort type stuff, GTX went 224mph, the pro mod so far has gone 229 with more to come.

Most people who will reply have never used both (not directed at anyone so if you have, great), they just prefer one or the other, I love Garrett stuff and use it in 90% of our applications, so I'm not telling you the precision out of favoritism, I just know you'll pick up more from the Gen2's than you will the GTX's.

6BOOST

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I have had a customer switch from a 94mm GTX Garrett to a gen2 Promod in the last few months and make DRAMATIC increases, like hundreds of hp improvement, and this isn't some moderate boost thing, we are talking 2000hp, 60+psi, maximum effort type stuff, GTX went 224mph, the pro mod so far has gone 229 with more to come.

Most people who will reply have never used both (not directed at anyone so if you have, great), they just prefer one or the other, I love Garrett stuff and use it in 90% of our applications, so I'm not telling you the precision out of favoritism, I just know you'll pick up more from the Gen2's than you will the GTX's.

6BOOST
Good info! Any comparison as to what they do at lower pressure ratios? I was just looking at them, and I noticed they have a little bit smaller inducer on the backside than the Garrett. I know the precision was specifically meant to be used as a twin, but wondering how it stacks up to the Garrett as a single.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I seen back to back results and were no were as you stated..

This was on a couple of different motors combos not just one..

Good luck with your new projects...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's the results I got with the GTX88's. We originally had twin 4788's on out car. Most boost I could make was 28-29psi. Car would run mid/upper 4.50's at 163mph. Car would never run more than 163 no matter what the et was. Switched to the GTX88's and the car now runs consistent 4.40's at 176-180 at 35psi (not bad for a conv headed 509BBC)and have not reached their limit yet. Not saying these are better or worse than Precision Pro Mods but they were light years better that plain 88mm's

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Zoran?

6BOOST

·
Registered
676 Posts
Good info! Any comparison as to what they do at lower pressure ratios? I was just looking at them, and I noticed they have a little bit smaller inducer on the backside than the Garrett. I know the precision was specifically meant to be used as a twin, but wondering how it stacks up to the Garrett as a single.
No info at lower pressure ratios, except to say that we are talking peak flow here and a big cuber motor will use that extra air at lower pressure ratios anyway. There is someone here I seen the other day that has a single gen2 pro mod 88 on an X275 car and was going crazy fast, let me go find it.....

Precision gen 2 88s ftw. We are running 4.55 at 160 with one of them at 3100 pounds on 275 radials:)

Congrats on the killer numbers with the 118!
SO they definitely make some steam.

I seen back to back results and were no were as you stated..

This was on a couple of different motors combos not just one..

Good luck with your new projects...
Was that at me? I am only sharing first hand info, I know you guys know your schit so by no means arguing, I actually prefer garrett products and have seen a few failures of big precisions, but the car I gave an example on has everything from GTX94's up to billet 104's and a few other on this thing and first pass with the Gen2 on it it went 3mph faster than their previous pb in hundreds of passes. Made me open my eyes as well!!

Here's the results I got with the GTX88's. We originally had twin 4788's on out car. Most boost I could make was 28-29psi. Car would run mid/upper 4.50's at 163mph. Car would never run more than 163 no matter what the et was. Switched to the GTX88's and the car now runs consistent 4.40's at 176-180 at 35psi (not bad for a conv headed 509BBC)and have not reached their limit yet. Not saying these are better or worse than Precision Pro Mods but they were light years better that plain 88mm's
Did you go from 4788's to 88mm GTX's but with GT55 rears tho Randy? If so I can definitely see why you picked up so much, those 4788's are't great on exhaust flow. If you went to a GTX4788 then I am interested in your improvements!

No mate not Zoran, he and Joe are running custom turbo's with G trim rears in a T6 housing, they just tell everyone they are Gen2 Pro Mods, the front may very well be identical and still 98mm, but they have a G trim style large frame core and T6 turbine housing which no other pro mod comes with, they have both had V band manifolds at some stage so why would you custom make a T6 pro mod with heavier cast core, heavier turbine housing and have to be custom one off made for the sake of the manifold flange? Exactly;) Secret Squirells;)

6BOOST

·
Registered
158 Posts

6BOOST
Which Pro mod GEN 2 does it have, the 94mm or 98mm?

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
No info at lower pressure ratios, except to say that we are talking peak flow here and a big cuber motor will use that extra air at lower pressure ratios anyway. There is someone here I seen the other day that has a single gen2 pro mod 88 on an X275 car and was going crazy fast, let me go find it.....

SO they definitely make some steam.

Was that at me? I am only sharing first hand info, I know you guys know your schit so by no means arguing, I actually prefer garrett products and have seen a few failures of big precisions, but the car I gave an example on has everything from GTX94's up to billet 104's and a few other on this thing and first pass with the Gen2 on it it went 3mph faster than their previous pb in hundreds of passes. Made me open my eyes as well!!

Did you go from 4788's to 88mm GTX's but with GT55 rears tho Randy? If so I can definitely see why you picked up so much, those 4788's are't great on exhaust flow. If you went to a GTX4788 then I am interested in your improvements!

No mate not Zoran, he and Joe are running custom turbo's with G trim rears in a T6 housing, they just tell everyone they are Gen2 Pro Mods, the front may very well be identical and still 98mm, but they have a G trim style large frame core and T6 turbine housing which no other pro mod comes with, they have both had V band manifolds at some stage so why would you custom make a T6 pro mod with heavier cast core, heavier turbine housing and have to be custom one off made for the sake of the manifold flange? Exactly;) Secret Squirells;)

6BOOST
My comment was directed to the guy that started the post. Telling him good luck to whatever route he goes..

Also a GTX5518R single has been the same...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
6BOOST
ive seen the same thing down here on a lot of the VL's but they are all going from 47's which suck on the exhaust side.. they would probably have similar results going to the 5518 or the 5533

the 55 exhaust wheel is light years ahead of the 47 wheel.. I just wish that did something in the 120mm turbine wheel for the 5541 for my car :p the 130mm in the gt60 is a little large :p

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
What Mr Nova said:) Plenty of Garrett G trim options mate, maybe not off the shelf in Australia, but readily available.

6BOOST

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm not going into a battle on who's make more power what I can tell you is the Garrett's do not blow up. I have 225 hard runs on one of ours & we test non stop trying new things. We have been fast at 3250 lbs. still more left.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts