Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little input from guys that have built cars from the ground up. I am currently building a street/strip car using a 91 4 banger mustang as a starting point. In what order do you go about with the following?

brakes
fuel system (will be carbed with in-tank fuel cell)
electrical
suspension (3 link using torque arm and panhard bar)
exhaust (custom to fit around suspension w/tailpipes)

Basically, I am trying to keep the project going as smoothly as possible. Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

·
كافر
9,930 Posts
Im getting the brakes in order first. Then fuel system, electrical for the fuel system, lights etc. while most of the shit is out of the car still.. im in the same boat.. 79 302 coupe though

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
GROUND UP! BRAKES, SUSPENSION, FUEL SYSTEM ETC. GET A GOOD WELD ON SUBFRAME CONNECTOR, AND ATLEAST UPGRADE TO V8 BRAKES OR SN95 STUFF IF UR GOIN 5 LUG. IF U NEED ANYTHING LET ME KNOW I GOT BOATLOADS OF SHIT FROM THESE CARS!

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips so far. I am upgrading to 2000 GT brakes. All I need is a booster and the front caliper brackets. Do you have to add the subframes and suspension with the car loaded? With motor and trans on the car?

·
كافر
9,930 Posts
Thanks for the tips so far. I am upgrading to 2000 GT brakes. All I need is a booster and the front caliper brackets. Do you have to add the subframes and suspension with the car loaded? With motor and trans on the car?
no you dont... but just ask around for setups so you dont load in the motor and springs go all the way down lol

·
كافر
9,930 Posts
LOL. I have struts/shocks, rear springs, and front coilovers already.
this happened to my friend.. had a 85 coupe and some random springs. no engine and still slammed LMAO hes like well fuck me!

·
Jack Stand Racer
6,464 Posts
i always like welding in the sub frames with motor in the car and how the car sits on the ground ...

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I'd be done in a month and a half. Not happening. Money is not the issue, there's just so much to do.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
I GOT A COMPLETE HYDRO BOOST KIT OFF A 2001 GT, AND CALIP AND BRACKETS OFF A 98 THAT WILL WORK WITH THOSE PBR CALIPERS. I ALWAYS WELDED MY SUBFRAMES ON WITH THE CAR ON ITS TIRES AT RIDE HEIGHT AND SUSP. LOADED. I COULD BE WAY WRONG BUT IT ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME SO IT STUCK

·
Jack Stand Racer
6,464 Posts
the car i'm working on now i have a little note book with things to get ... i am almost done with the motor, rear end is ready to go ... the big tear down of the car will be over the winter ... then i'm hoping to make noise with it in the spring...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Funny how a few of us that are in the same boat. I'm currently building a '93 Mustang (ex 4cyl). It's completely a bare chassis right now. My order is to get the body touched up in a few small areas then I'm starting with the rear end, which I need to find a shop that will cut and install 9 inch ends. Then move to the front, then plumb new brake lines. I have to have some sort of order or I won't get certain things done.

·
كافر
9,930 Posts
Funny how a few of us that are in the same boat. I'm currently building a '93 Mustang (ex 4cyl). It's completely a bare chassis right now. My order is to get the body touched up in a few small areas then I'm starting with the rear end, which I need to find a shop that will cut and install 9 inch ends. Then move to the front, then plumb new brake lines. I have to have some sort of order or I won't get certain things done.
I have two coupes. they're always something needing done or upgrading.. 79 was a barn find.. been in storage for 12 years. drove it home.

·
Registered
864 Posts
^^^^yeah same here. I have an all original '85 which was a driveway find. Doors are shot, sunroof leaked and ruined the interior and the motor was only started but never driven in 7 years. It's pretty much a parts car.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly right about doing things in a certain order. I don't want to be all over the place with the build. I bought prebent hardlines for the brakes from Classictube. Still in the box, lol.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Let me know how the Classic Tube turns out. I'll be buying that soon.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
If you're going to swap spindles make sure you use the 94/95 V6/GT spindles as 96 & up will change the track width

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,434 Posts
suspension

brakes

exhaust

fuel

electrical

never do fuel and electrical plumbing before exhaust. Its easier to reroute wires and aluminum tubing then it is to form the exhaust to cater to an existing wire or tube placed in the wrong place.

Suspension and brakes will get it rolling and make it mobile to move about if its in the way or you just want it to finally see the light of day, and also your exhaust will be set to your new suspension/brakes mods. Trust me if you never move it to look it over, it will become a burdon and in your way after a couple years. Its a HUGE commitment and much easier to buy someone elses headache/moneypit and finish it. But its your deal and money, good luck with your project.

·
Creepy Ass Cracka
5,801 Posts
I thought I'd be done in a month and a half. Not happening. Money is not the issue, there's just so much to do.

I'm in the same boat. Started about 4 weeks ago completely rebuilding the car. Lucky for me I already had a good chassis, body and interior to start with. I ordered a fab rear 4 weeks ago and they told me it would be 4 or 5 weeks to build. I thought I would be waiting on them, boy was I wrong. Pulled the old rear, did the fuel system. Brakes, Master cylinder and new fuel and brake lines. Luckily I did the suspension a few years ago, but building from the ground up is a huge task. Its all the little details that take time. I'm also on a first name basis with the fed ex and ups guys now....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts