Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....... using an Edelbrock controller 71900 and getting a bad surge when we use the progressive..... start at anywhere from 25-40% usually around a 300 tune up. WOT switch is OK and have even doubled up with an extra switch on the steering wheel.
Sledgehammer plate from Steve and the car has run great with the progressive before, but now won't. Has been 5.60's at 128 in the 1/8 on 26x8.5's

Tried no progressive today with a 200 hit and lots of timing retard to get it down the track.........runs its best 60 ft and a very respectable ET with no surge. (5.80 @ 121)

I have rewired, hot wired, new relays, new grounds, and power wires, separated wires, and done everything but change the controller. When i put the controller to start and finish at 100% it works......anything else it surges. Tried a bigger tune up and seemed worse. I have a racepak and you can see the activation going on and off when using the progressive........no progressive and it's fine.

oh ya and the controller is no where near the ignition

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
12,145 Posts
Sounds like a typical RF issue. Most common place for this feedback is through the solenoid ground wires that run back to box. Are they near anything ignition related, water pump wires, or maybe a fan motor ?? Wrapping them in aluminum foil sometimes solves as well. SJ

·
Registered
217 Posts
See if you can borrow a controller from someone and test it. I did the same thing and about pulled my hair out trying to figure it out. Put a new controller in and it stopped it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a typical RF issue. Most common place for this feedback is through the solenoid ground wires that run back to box. Are they near anything ignition related, water pump wires, or maybe a fan motor ?? Wrapping them in aluminum foil sometimes solves as well. SJ

The part the has me lost is why did it work before?

I think all the wires are separated, but I will double check.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Are you clearing the run data after every pass?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clearing run data every pass.....

Separated every wire today, ran new wire, everything i could think of. Still does it.

Have a new controller that I got and will try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
You didn't do anything different like change plug wires since it was working fine did you?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've never heard of clearing the run data before. Is this something that needs to be done after every pass? What happens if u don't clear it? Just trying to grasp it a little better. Thanks

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I've never heard of clearing the run data before. Is this something that needs to be done after every pass? What happens if u don't clear it? Just trying to grasp it a little better. Thanks
Yes, for some reason it can sometimes cause issues.....all different kinds. Surging, delays, not ramping in and leaving at full tilt....etc. It's been so long since I have raced I forgot how, but it's in the 71900 instructions.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes, for some reason it can sometimes cause issues.....all different kinds. Surging, delays, not ramping in and leaving at full tilt....etc. It's been so long since I have raced I forgot how, but it's in the 71900 instructions.

What he said

·
Registered
320 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the edelbrock units once i started mounting them on a piece of lexan with a BATTERY ground to the case.All the issues i have ever had with these always led back to where or how i had it mounted.How is it being activated and are you running anything off of the output circuit?

·
Super Moderator
12,145 Posts
Do all controllers these days suffer from RF? Is there any that are not as prone to RF
This is one of the reasons we use and sell the NMS-1000, never have had an RF issue with them.. SJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts