Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for someone to do my 87 GN ala Sparky(rip) with teflon wire,mil spec connectors,wiring wrapped in Raychem,etc.I want the best wirng job money can buy,travel is no problem for the right shop.Links to websites where I can see the rec'd shops work would be very helpful.Ecm will be FAST XFI....

Im in Alabama,close is always good but I dont think im gonna find anyone good who is local/semi local....Thanks,

Drew

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
There are several really good shops, and they post on here. I think you will find your decision might come down to who has the next opening, as good shops are very busy, so you might be in a long line.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replys guys.Not interested in the next opening on a busy shop,interested in THE BEST.Sparky was the best and hes gone......must be someone out there who has his style/knowledge(maybe some ex employees or ?)

And there wont be any wiring "kits" going in my car.....Alll custom hidden top of the line wiring.....

·
Registered
1,774 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Places like Spaghetti Menders and Speedwire Systems have great products but it still comes down to the installation!!! Shops that specialize in "kits" do not normally specialize in installations!!! A guy who wants the best installation, appearance, quality, and fuction should be looking for shops who specialize in just that!!!

I am not normally one to jump up and scream "I'm the best," but when I offer, and can offer, what you are looking for...I guess I need to jump up and scream. I have seen Sparky's work...he was great...if that is what you are looking for...call me!!!! I can send you pics of our work. I have years of experience with mil spec connectors and I have had wire labelers in use long before others! ***** & Strippers Race Car Wiring is second to none!

Jeff Brandenburg
513-617-5717

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Why a Teflon wire ?

You can use a smaller Gauge wire (55M Spec) to make your looms that will handle the same current flow.

Pat

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why a Teflon wire ?

You can use a smaller Gauge wire (55M Spec) to make your looms that will handle the same current flow.

Pat
Why use teflon wire?ITS THE BEST!!!

Self extinguishing,20% less voltage drop,and it doesnt decay with high heat the way TXL does,not to mention its a hell of alot thinnner.16 ga teflon is the same size as 22ga TXL.....

Have you ever been sorry when you used the best parts?

Ohiomafia,your shop is one I was already considering...its only an 8 hr drive so thats not bad at all...your work looks great too!!

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
You should be careful using teflon insulated wire around sharp turns as it tends to "cold flow"". A better insulation is "Tefzel".

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You should be careful using teflon insulated wire around sharp turns as it tends to "cold flow"". A better insulation is "Tefzel".
You are very correct. 55M Spec is very pliable compared to Teflon. This type of wire is usually found in an Indy/Cart Car, and it can handle anything that a (drag race) car is going to throw at it.

Just my .02.......good luck with your project !

Pat

·
Registered
919 Posts
Also you must be careful not to run your wires up hill, it could slow down voltage flow.This is called...................... "slow flow".

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Also you must be careful not to run your wires up hill, it could slow down voltage flow.This is called "slow flow".
Never thought about that, but its a good point! Probably should use a higher voltage when running current from the back of the car, up to the front, so it can overcome the Gs on launch.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
i know there's a lot of good installers out there and some really good ones. you might try Proline Racing Engines as they now have an in house wiring & plumbing department. check them out!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Never thought about that, but its a good point! Probably should use a higher voltage when running current from the back of the car, up to the front, so it can overcome the Gs on launch.:rolleyes:
Yes you are quite right,i think with the amount of Gs that this 87GN will pull you should consider putting the batteries up front so the voltage flows down stream.Instead of the voltage running up hill.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
To me this is a loaded question. Like others have said, there are plenty of qualified people out there. We all seem to be in different locations and have different qualities about us that make all of us good. I refuse to sit here and say that I could do a better job than the next guy, just not my style. All I can say is I am a racer first. My mind works to allow the car to be worked on, not have things in the way. I would never run wires on the topside of a double framerail car so they can get ripped out when the trans comes out, ignition boxes in the way so you bump your head, etc. I seem to bump my head on everything so I know how that feels!!

I am located in the Chicago area and if you would like to talk about the project my number is below.

Broke1 are you by chance the gentleman I talked to earlier this year about the XFI Harness made out of Tefzel?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tefzel is NOT as good as mil spec teflon....There are MANY different specs of teflon wire as there are many different specs for military equipment;)The wire I will be using is just as flexible as TXL,remeber,many different militay specifications=many different kinds of wire.

Tefzel is better than TXL but not near as good as a true teflon wire.

Tefzel used in Indy?Teflon is used in SPACE flight,you know,out of this world travel.

Already have all the wire and my Stripall TWC-1's....

Ohiomafia is gonna get the nod on the wiring job,after talking to him,I feel his ideas are right in line with what im looking for....

Do some reading on teflon wire and the different mil spec's of it and im sure if your pocket allows,you will use it instead of Tefzel....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Tefzel is NOT as good as mil spec teflon....There are MANY different specs of teflon wire as there are many different specs for military equipment;)The wire I will be using is just as flexible as TXL,remeber,many different militay specifications=many different kinds of wire.

Tefzel is better than TXL but not near as good as a true teflon wire.

Tefzel used in Indy?Teflon is used in SPACE flight,you know,out of this world travel.

Already have all the wire and my Stripall TWC-1's....

Ohiomafia is gonna get the nod on the wiring job,after talking to him,I feel his ideas are right in line with what im looking for....

Do some reading on teflon wire and the different mil spec's of it and im sure if your pocket allows,you will use it instead of Tefzel....
Have you ever wired anything that was to perform in space? How long was it suppose to operate there? Just curious.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts